1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hot tub anyone?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by SE Iowa, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SE Iowa

SE Iowa New Member

Loc:
    SE Iowa
    Does anyone know if any of the gassification units have multiple outlets so that you can run a line to a hot tub? Is anyone doing this or do you just treat it like another zone and have a separate thermostat etc? Just thinking my family might like it and I wouldn't feel like it was too much of an excess if I used wood to heat the water. Another question, has anyone seen a direct wood fired hot tub? I know that they make some but usually you have to buy a smaller old fashioned swedish tub with a separate wood fire water "boiler". Just wondering if any manufacturer has updated/improved these old types?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Nofossil has a hot tub.
  3. leaddog

leaddog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hesperia, Michigan
    I heat my hottub with my boiler. I treat it as a seperate zone, I disconected my elect. heater and when the hottub calls for heat it pumps thru a sidearm hx. Works great and I save $30 month on my elect.bill.
    leaddog
  4. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Is the sidearm hooked up directly to the hot tub piping, leaddog, or a water heater?
  5. leaddog

leaddog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hesperia, Michigan
    I have the side arm hooked up to the hottub and to a zone circ so when the hottub calls for heat the circ pumps hot water thru. The hot tub water flows continous. I Think most recommend stainless for hottubs and swimming pools because of the clorine but I have an ozonator and use very little bromine and I haven't had a problem. The sidearm was a spare so thats what I used.
    leaddog
  6. BrownianHeatingTech

BrownianHeatingTech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwood, NH
    Flat plate heat exchangers work well, too.

One note of caution: if you use chlorine, you need to calculate the flow rate to keep the water in the heat exchanger from getting too hot, or it can boil out the chlorine and rapidly corrode the heat exchanger.

Joe
  7. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    I've been heating my hot tub as another zone on my hydronic system since I got it in 2001. I made the HX out of a 2' section of 6" diameter PVC with a bunch of 1/2" copper inside it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.