Hot Water for Summer... no storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

May 21, 2008
NH
So... I do not have storage and am wondering if I can do this. Tarm 40. We take 5 showers in am and 5 at night. Can i build a real small fire right before we shower?... or should i just shut down the Tarm for the season and use the oil ? Also I did not replace the seal in the top door like Tarm said to do... and I can see why they suggested it... the original door seal sucks. So i have to put on the other one they supplied. Do I just rip the old one off the door?.. and what do i use to keep the new one on with ?... or does it just stay in by itself?

Birdman,

Ok, hope you are being seroius on this one. I have an Eko 25 w/ storage which is located in the basement. I am not sure whether I will try to heat my DHW with wood. I am using a Superstore (60 gal) indirect water heater, and at best I might get 2-3 day's out of storage to heat hotwater and I am not sure I want to live with the heating up the basement. I mightr just use my propane boiler once a day the heat the tank.

As for the gaseket, you could use either Gasket Cement of the High Temp Silocone to glue the new gasket in place. You can get either at most hardware stores. It is fairley easy to remove the gasket in the future if it needs replacing.

Birdman, the old gasket should just pull off and the new style will roll into the groove no need for any cement, it will stay in place by friction. Should be a quick and easy job

I think I going to set up solar tubes for hot water May thru Oct instead of trying to burn wood. With the longer daylight I will not need as many as if we were trying to heat in the colder time of year when we will use the boiler

For reference, I have a flat plate solar hot water system in Gorham NH and switched over to 100% solar last week (During colder weather it preheats my "hot water maker" that is heated off my oil or wood boiler. Note, the water supply is not unlimited, so I plan to use hot water when I know I have a sunny day coming up to reheat the tank. Evacuated tubes will allow you to generate hotter winter temps, but the trade off is price.

If you have time (and wood) to spare, then heating without storage is okay. You'll end up with one fire per day. That was my experience with an old wood gun.

I'm hoping to stretch it from every 3 to 5 days once I get my new installation w/storage finished

I went 14 days between fires last summer for DHW with my 1K gal boiler and 2K storage. Next week I will be adding more insulation to boiler and storage tanks with the hopes of going longer between burns and less heatloss. I figured the AC was working extra hard last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.