Hot water from wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pacific hot

Sep 21, 2006
Hey everybody , ,

trying to heat my domestic hot water using my woodstove it's a pacific energy super 27 came stock with a small stainless tube water coil in the fire box, I then added two 66 foot roll's of 1/2 soft type k copper and put them tight on each side of the stove against the steel fire box, and will be running a small pump to ciculate the water, question is has anyone tried this before how well can i expect it to work or did I just spend the money for nothing ??? any tips would be great thanks in advance

Derek

Check this out: http://www.woodheat.org/dhw/dhw.htm

It's problematic, complicated, and far beyond my skills, but it is possible.

Funny, loads of European stoves seem to have optional hot water systems, why not in North America?

Admittedly I have no idea how well those factory systems work.

US = attorneys

The problem is not when things function correctly, It's when they don't Should water circulation and lack of relief blowoff valves not be present you have a s very hot large steam vessel that can explode. It can be done but with correct safeguards in the sustem such as drain off refief valves. How well does the stove work when heat is being transfered out? how well will it it work then cooler water is introduced into the fire box? If the fire box and stove are cooled then is it not producing h as much heat?

Just some question that have to be asked. Please educate us on the merits of that system and safeguards involved

Status
Not open for further replies.