hot water heater install question .like to install a 6 gal unit in my shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamant

Sep 30, 2007
all the sidearm heat exchangers seem to long and expensive. i was thinking of a plate exchanger.. what is your thoughts? are those cheep ebay ones ok?

Attachments

• d7b978ee-ae3b-4edc-aa21-9464c79c5cd2_1000.jpg
    d7b978ee-ae3b-4edc-aa21-9464c79c5cd2_1000.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 118
Re. the plate HX, I got a B&G 20 plate at my local supplier. They had to order it, but it wasn't much more than what I've seen advertised on line.

On the water tank, IMO the advantage to either a plate or sidearm is you can heat the DHW when the boiler water is hot, and have a reserve if the boiler cools off. So I think the bigger the DHW tank, the better. I don't know your usage, but 6 gallons is not much reserve, so once you run the 6 gallons through, the HX would have to basically act as an on demand heater. If the plate HX is big enough & the boiler water hot enough & the pumping of each side is at the right rates, it might do OK - but having reserve is usually good. A lot depends on your specific situation.

Unless you are at an off-grid cabin, my thought is - if a 6 gal water heater is sufficient to start with, just run it on electric and move on.

The few gallons it heats for the winter could not possibly have a payback by time you figure all the piping and heat exchanger cost. With the short tank height you'll likely just end up with 6 gallons of lukewarm water anyway, as convection is going to be real tough to get going.

Let us know how it worked.

Unless you are at an off-grid cabin, my thought is - if a 6 gal water heater is sufficient to start with, just run it on electric and move on.

The few gallons it heats for the winter could not possibly have a payback by time you figure all the piping and heat exchanger cost. With the short tank height you'll likely just end up with 6 gallons of lukewarm water anyway, as convection is going to be real tough to get going.

Let us know how it worked.

I agree. In my shop I installed an electric 6 gallon water heater. It is used to provide hot water to the wash sink where I wash dogs, hands, beer making dishes, paint brushes, etc. I'm not filling a clothes washer or taking showers with it so small is fine. It's on it's own 20 amp 120 volt circuit and has a simple plug, not even hardwired. I have a lighted wall switch that feeds it so I only heat up that 6 gallon tank when I plan to use it. Works freaking great and heats up to full temp in about 30 minutes.

It was only like 150$ at home depot and sits on a shelf. Mine is the plastic square looking one. You'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.