Hot Water Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHFarmer

Feeling the Heat
Feb 17, 2008
southeastern NH
I am now heating my DHW with my wood boiler,it is a great feeling to take a nice hot shower heated with wood that I cut.Now I have shut off my electric water heater till next summer.How should I store it till then?Full of water or empty?

Full of water or empty?
I empty mine and pull the elements so tank can dry out. 8 month old stagnant hot water could be nasty IMHO. It gives me a chance to clean the elements of any scale also. So far no problems after 6 years. Dry steel inside of tank usually won't get rusty. Prolly could set up hair dryer to rapid dry it out if you were concerned.
Will

I vote for leaving it full. After the last bit of oxygen turns into rust, most of the chemical reactions stop. I probably wouldn't shower in it until it flushed out for a couple days, but this shouldn't be a problem. YMMV

Chris

Thanks for your input,still not sure which way to go though

Status
Not open for further replies.