Hot Water Loop off Steam Boiler vs. Separate Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgoodnow

Dec 15, 2007
Suburban Boston
My question is strictly fossil fuel so it is slightly off topic. But I do burn wood for supplemental heat and I like this site, so here's my question.

My existing heating is gas-fired one-pipe steam. I'm doing some remodeling involving some changed and new radiation. I've settled on removing one steam rad and adding two new hot water rads. So I need a source of hot water. My heating contractor has given me two options for this. One, I can tie into my steam boiler below the water line and circulate the hot water through a heat exchanger, which would heat the water to be distributed to the new radiators, or two, I can add a new mod-con boiler to run the two new radiators. I have a desire to add one or two additional hot water zones at some point in the future and would also like to go with indirect hot water when I need to replace my water heater. The separate mod-con would be able to handle these loads but not my existing boiler. My view is that the separate mod-con boiler is the superior solution but it does come with a price premium that I was not quite prepared for given all the other remodeling costs.

My question is, what do the heating experts and homeowners here think of these two solutions?

well I am no expert in steam systems but , why wouldn't you just add 2 steam radiators? Steam systems work at much different temps and pressures, so they do not mesh well with hot water systems. The use of a heat exchanger is a good idea for domestic hot water, but there are always eff. losses with hx.

mikeyny said:
why wouldn't you just add 2 steam radiators?

Good question. One of the two new radiators would be difficult to pipe due to its distance from the boiler. I did get an estimate for steam but ruled it out because the difficult-to-pipe radiator is in a high heat loss room where I really want heat. I also have a desire to create a zoned heating system so that I can heat a small portion of the house comfortably while keeping the thermostat a little lower on the steam side.

there are always eff. losses with hx

Good point, I had not thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.