Hot water pipe inside a furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
Hello all,

My Charmaster furnace has an adapter (2 holes in the side of the firebox) into which a U-shaped water pipe (supplied) can be bolted, and this is supposed to run into a tank that then feeds the regular hot water system, thereby warming up the water before it enters. Anyone got this setup working? And how is it? Does it make a big difference on the hot water heating bill? I hate to pay $70 a month for propane just for hot water.

Thanks!

DeanB

you , need more tha a little piping you will need a mixing valve one might be able to use the house pressure to feed a boiler mate type tank. fFrst thing I would do when the boiler is down is set up a way to connect a hose and charge the system under normal house pressure, check it out to see if it holds water. Who knows the condition of a coil that has not been used for quite some time in an older boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.