Hot water & Wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coog

Burning Hunk
Aug 28, 2012
North West Illinois
Wondering if anyone out there has ever devised a system to heat water using a wood stove, safely; either for domestic purposes or a hot water loop.

The 7100 on the main floor does a great job even on the coldest of days but the basement does not get much above 50 degrees until the outside temps go above 40. I would like something to heat the basement, domestic water, and even the upstairs by underfloor radiant heat until it gets below 0 or so.

Most larger stoves can produce 30,000 to 40,000 BTUs per hour for 8 to 12 hours. I gotta believe a stove like this could heat a radiant loop the same. Maybe I am wrong. Creosote may be an issue also.

Anyone have any experience with this? Would love to hear it.

There are wood fired boilers that do this. Look on the forums main page. The area is called the boiler room.

in my experience if you try to heat a large volume of water with wood it cools down the exhaust gasses allot and does lead to more creosote. but yes it can be and is done allot

Thanks mstoelton. Yes a boiler is not out of the question but I would prefer a stove. It heats without power and you can see the fire.

Is anyone out there doing it that can tell how it is working?

This may give you some ideas.

I think some of the heating/cookstoves will do it. Esse Ironheart for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.