HOT WOOD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWood

Minister of Fire
Aug 14, 2007
Arrow Bridge,NY
Stolen that is !!!!!!! Just delivered wood to a regular customer the other day. Had me dump it in a different spot. I asked him "You have been having me dump wood over there for 10 years why the sudden change?" He says " Last winter half my pile disappeared in one night so I'm putting it closer to the house for now on !"

This will probably be a common occurence with the price of oil and food sky rocketing. I started putting all gas cans back in garage insted of just inside the wood shed where everyone who comes to the house can see them. Gonna start closing the gate to the wood yard too.

I had just re-stacked next years wood in a perfectly level six cord stack the week before my trip to Texas. When I got back there were a dozen or so splits missing off of the back row.

Somebody hiked over from the development behind our woods for a little fireplace wood it seems.

A nice straight stack of 6 cords of wood looks like more than any man needs. Many of us go for two years supply or 12 cords and that just looks like bragging. The thieves don't think you deserve that much wood I guess.

I have had some green cottonwood stolen in the summer from my front yard last year. Probably for campfire wood since it was summertime. Those poor fools couldn't have burned that wood with a BBQ. It would have filled their campsite with stinky white heavy smoke!

My wood is stored out back and not visible from the road. I have a gate that I could install that should be even better.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Stolen that is !!!!!!! Just delivered wood to a regular customer the other day. Had me dump it in a different spot. I asked him "You have been having me dump wood over there for 10 years why the sudden change?" He says " Last winter half my pile disappeared in one night so I'm putting it closer to the house for now on !"

This will probably be a common occurence with the price of oil and food sky rocketing. I started putting all gas cans back in garage insted of just inside the wood shed where everyone who comes to the house can see them. Gonna start closing the gate to the wood yard too.

Ive never thought of it that way I have my wood stacked in the back of and dead end ally. Right out side my gate If i start to notice any thing missing Ill have to move it in side the yard Dammm it.
I wonder if we stopped the war will the price of gas go down JUST A THOUGHT

Burd said:
Ive never thought of it that way I have my wood stacked in the back of and dead end ally. Right out side my gate If i start to notice any thing missing Ill have to move it in side the yard Dammm it.
I wonder if we stopped the war will the price of gas go down JUST A THOUGHT

When I was in college, a few hundred years ago, for wood for the fireplace we would drive down alleys in the back of a pickup and reach over fences and pick off a few splits from each pile stacked against the back fence.

LEES WOOD-CO said:

Sad state of affairs indeed. People will do what ever they need to put food on their table and heat in their house right now. When the economy declines the theft type of crimes allways increase. I now see old tires thrown along the roads since it costs to dispose of them too. 8-/

Spent a bit of time with family at my aunt's house down in Berkeley CA last week. She said that there's recently been a rash of folks having their gas siphoned from their cars parked along the street overnight. Bound to happen, I s'pose, but pretty sad nonetheless. Rick

Old tires along side the road is because people are lazy,rude, and don't care about other just them selves. I write down tag #'s when I see dumper on my road
and let them see that I'm doing it. It burns me up.

fossil said:
Spent a bit of time with family at my aunt's house down in Berkeley CA last week. She said that there's recently been a rash of folks having their gas siphoned from their cars parked along the street overnight. Bound to happen, I s'pose, but pretty sad nonetheless. Rick

I drive the chevy aveo 3 miles each way to work.. always got great mileage-so now i'm noticing my fence has been left open 2 times since jan(never left open in the 8 years i lived here)and that i was filling up every week. Moe the bulldog woke up and must have heard something because he lept from the bed to the hallway and tore A** outside. It was my neighbors son across the street- so now i lock the gate and lock up the car. but at least i know who did it..and he did it to his fathers cars also. Loser !!!

Shades of the 70s. Rural areas had people cutting whole trees in the forest. Landowners would patrol their acreage. These days people are to lazy to cut trees, they just steal splits, much faster and easier. We also have people stealing gas, some by just puncturing the plastic tanks, a double whammy you lose gas and need to buy a new tank and rent a car to get around. It won't be long before some thieves get shot over a gallon of gas. Even farmers a forced to lock up their deisel, at $4.50 gal. it adds up fast. Wonder how much fuel per day being used for all war related causes?

Bad economy always brings out the worst in people. I feel for those who have things stolen.

Glad we live way out in the country on a dead end road. Also all the locals and many who aren't locals also know that we are armed and know how to use those arms. Most of our things are well out of sight from the road. Even though we live on a gravel dead end, we also live far back from the road. Still, we see scum trolling on the road every so often just looking to see what there is to steal. Yes, they have hit some of the neighbors; not on our road but out on the other through roads.

You guy have me jealous...I am almost at 2 cords cut and a little stacking to go...a third of the way to 6 cords and I am still scrounging!!! I know what you mean about wood disappearing...my neighbor has wood envy!!! He has 2 cords that the city left from a tree accross from his driveway and no saw or splitter to get 'r done. I was going to help him but he turned into an a$$hole so now he will just let the pile rot. More than ever stacked wood is money in the bank!!!

a proper way to deter wood thieves. get ahold of a hole hog drill. bore a one inch hole in one end. deposit a 12 gauge shot gun shell into it a pack open hole with chips. cures it every time

Nasty!

Well, there's one advantage to my having to wheel 4-5 cords of wood around and down to the back of the house each year - it would be even harder to haul back out. Criminals in these parts are far too lazy for that.

I worry more about my piles in MI, where the economy sucks and everybody burns. They're only protected by a chain across two trees and my well-armed but 85 year old neighbor. He's had to chase off folks from the piece of our property across the road from the driveway several times; they were stealing rocks, if you can believe that. They must know something about my worthless rocks that I don't.

Maybe they think it is part of the Pictured Rocks?

We did get away with a few logs last fall for deer camp, thank you. Your 85 year old neighbor was sleeping at the time. lol (Just kidding.)

Hanko said:
a proper way to deter wood thieves. get ahold of a hole hog drill. bore a one inch hole in one end. deposit a 12 gauge shot gun shell into it a pack open hole with chips. cures it every time

Gun traps are a felony in all states. If someone dies, you are looking at a murder charge. Consider whether you really want a lethal response to unwary visitors, animals, even trespassers. There are better ways.

NickR said:
Hanko said:

Gun traps are a felony in all states. If someone dies, you are looking at a murder charge. Consider whether you really want a lethal response to unwary visitors, animals, even trespassers. There are better ways.

Are you freakin serious ,the AZZMUNCH never should have stolen the wood in the first place. I don't condone murder but stealing is a crime. Thats like saying a bank robber that got shot and killed has rights . WTF is this world comin too.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
.....................Thats like saying a bank robber that got shot and killed has rights . WTF is this world comin too.

Does make you wonder sometimes. I sometimes think I'd be better off as a tennant in a dump somwhere as homeowners are getting the shorter and shoter end of the stick each day..................

With my luck, I'd forget which split I stuck the shell into, and I'd end up blowing up my own stove. Think I'll look at other ways to deter wood thieves. Rick

If it's any constellation for deterring wood theives, I elected to go the natural route. Yes- the state plant, the Yucca. I took seeds from the shoots of already grown/ growing Yucca plants and scattered them along the perimeter of the property. THos of you who have had the opportunity to run thru a patch of Yucca's prbably still remember it pretty well. I did this after the mailbox got smashed by some punks, thinking that the next level would be to tag a wall on someone's house.....................

All you need is a little sign on the wood pile that says "One of these logs has a rifle cartridge in it-do you wanna guess which one?" You don't need to put anything in the log. The sign will be good enough to deter them.

Another option, a sign that says: "smile your on candid camera" also an excellent deterrent (don't even need the camera, the sign is good enough) . KD

Would also help if they didn't know you hadda stash...................

One of my neighbors that sells firewood has a sign:

in big letters "FREE"
and then underneith, in smaller letters:

"ride in sheriff's car if you get caught stealing from here"

I thought it was a bit deceptive, since you have to stop and look before you can see what the rest of the sign says, but I guess it get the point across.

Yeah- the FREE makes you stop. Then you find out that nothing is free, save for the ride in the sherriff car................

Status
Not open for further replies.