Hottest burning type of pellet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan

Sep 27, 2007
Central MA
So now that i've got my Harman XXV heating my home on a daily basis, I've been trying different brands of pellets. Nautrally i've been buying low ash, hard wood pellets. However, i wonder if there is a definitive "Best" brand of pellet to butn. Meaning - gives of the best heat, burns the longest, cleanest (lowest ash?). i've been told oak is probably the "best". Does anyone out there have any other opinion or experiences with any particular type of pellets? Thank you again in advance.

I think the pine pellets I've tried are the most BTU per bag. They did produce slightly more ash but that should not be a problem in your stove.

Currently I'm burning armstrong pellets because well....they are the right price and start easily in the stove and seem to form less clinkers in the burn pot than the pine pellets.

Since I'm out west we get diffrent pellets. I would go with whatever you can for the best price and not worry about ash content or BTU as much since the Harman stoves will pretty much burn anything. BTU is not the best indicator.

Plutonium pellet are the hottist.
they will burn down a whole county.

A fir or fir pine pellet is the best but hard to get nowadays because of some pipe beetle and they are not harvesting as much Fir.

It's east vs west ......east coast hardwood is plentiful but softwood is preferable as far as pellets go.
But the difference in BTU is maybe 500-1000btu pet pound.. so it is a bit negligable cause if you heat the room quicker you'll just go into maintenance burn that much quicker........
Check out the btu comparisons in the WIKI.
I like softwoods as they have less clinkers.....

Status
Not open for further replies.