Hottttttttttt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bartlett920

Feb 15, 2008
Fort Scott Kansas
I started a fire a little bit ago with 3 2"x2x16 oak timbers and a1"x16 hedge log and supercedar left the stove air open and ran to the store. Well I got home about 15 minutes later and heard the smoke detector going off got inside and the fire was hottttt! So I turned it down and went in the attic to check the chimney pipe and it was cold so I guess it was a close one must of had it hot enough to reseason the paint on the stove. Hell I didnt think there was enough wood in it to get that hot I would say it was pushing 800-900 degree stove top temp!

I've heard that Hedgewood (Osage Orange) is the densest, hottest burning wood available in the U.S., that it burns like coal.

I think most of us have walked away with the draft control a bit to far open at least once or twice. It's kind of scary isn't it?
Dexter is correct about Hedge apple/Osage orange. It has the highest BTU output of anywood available in these parts.

yeah that is usually all I burn but it was just one little stick I threw in. The only bad part about hedge is when air gets to it it likes to pop sparks and coals out!!

Hedgeburner, may that lesson forever stay foremost in your mind whenever you light a fire. No matter how much wood you put in, tend that stove. Do your part and the stove will do it's part.

Glad nothing was harmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.