House came with Heatsource1 OWB, need general advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jKsled

Oct 22, 2016
New Glarus WI
Bought our house in February last year. Previous owner had the burner going and I continued to feed it through spring, haven't really liked around inside it till now. Couple questions on it now. It's a heatsource 1 unit, with underground lines and a pump in the backside of the unit. Here are my questions:

How do I know when it has enough water? When it runs out the top opening? Should the water opening have a cap?

There is a valve called expansion bladder valve. It was previously shut. Should it be open or closed? When I open it immediately after filling water to the top of the fill port, water comes out the end of the line. I don't see any "expansion bladder" at the end of the line it's just open

I hear water boiling when the water gets hot immediately after filling. After a while it stops. Am I over filling it?

Any other general advice on the mechanicals let me know. I've never had a wood burner and the manual is long gone. Previous owner had a history of not taking care of stuff (house is a fixer) so I wouldn't be surprised if things are broken on this unit too. It does pump water though and gets up to temp. Thanks for any help

Joe

First stop would be the manufacturer's website for download of manual and maintenance tip directly from them. Not that members here won't add to that info with what they've found with their OWB but that would be my starting point...

www.heatsource1.com

Last edited:
Just looked, they do not have downloadable manuals. Will have to write to request if previous owner did not leave one.

Yeah, I've already looked around there and nothing. Was hoping there would be some general info that's common between brands or maybe someone with the same unit? Thanks for the quick replies though!

If you go to the first page of the boiler room section, there is a pdf for biomass hydronic training that may be helpful. I haven't looked at it myself as it was very long ago that we had a wood boiler. Good luck and be patient!

Status
Not open for further replies.