house fire( new stove)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrpga498

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
New Jersey
I just read in the morning paper of a house fire a few miles away.
The owners had tried there woodstove for first time. Cause of fire, combustibles too close to the stove according to the fire investigators report. House engulfed within 11 minutes of the firetruck arrival. Keep clear, keep safe.

adrpga498 said:
I just read in the morning paper of a house fire a few miles away.
The owners had tried there woodstove for first time. Cause of fire, combustibles too close to the stove according to the fire investigators report. House engulfed within 11 minutes of the firetruck arrival. Keep clear, keep safe.

Wow, a lot of these fires have nothing to do with the installation - but with what happens after. You have to look around the stove and think about things...like can the dog knock something over that might rest against it, or could a curtain fall down and drape over it.

You can't be too safe!

Also, hot ash left in garages is a major source of problems. Assume that your coals may be "live" for a week (possibly even more) and always put them in 100A% non-combustible container!

My wife just told me last night that a local man installed a new woodstove in a mobile home two days ago. Yesterday it burned to the ground.

What is it that allows people to think that wood stoves won't burn your house down? I am a seller of wood stoves. Isn't that a strange comment coming from a stove dealer? Don't consumers want to be told it is "safe"? Well, all I know is that ignorance kills. If you don't now what you are doing you are risking your life and property. Do you think these fires were blamed on the wood stove? You bet. But was it really the wood stove's fault?

Sean

There seems to a one of these stories every month. It could be a woodstove or gas heater or even a barbecue indoors! It doesn't so much make me question the safety of the device, but it does make me a bit concerned that these yahoos are also out there driving on the roads.

Sometimes I wonder how Elk gets to sleep at night after the things he must come across.

I think about the people that think they are safe because they aren't burning wood. When I lived in Texas every year like clockwork there would be a story about a house that just blew compeltely apart. Gas leak every time.

couple years back there was a story on the news. Two guys getting ready to cook some steakums and the place blew. they lived....unscathed in fact but not a stick of the house standing. Amazing.

There was a incident in Lexington, MA a few weeks back. The gas company hooked up a high pressure gas line by mistake to a residential service line. Gas leaked out like crazy in the houses. Folks in one house went out because of the gas smell, a few minutes later the house blew up as was totally engulfed in flames.

I think I'll start eating less beans. At least while the woodstove's burning.

let's not forget about the first cold snap. up here in mass when we get a cold couple of days that are in the teens or single numbers there is usaly a bunch of fires started by electric heaters. you know, the smart people. put the heater next to a curtain or bed or the best one on a rug. gee what happened...........

It's not only limited to stoves, though. If there is a power outage, you can rest assured that a couple people will die because they fired up a generator in their garage. Last night we got about 1/4 inch of snow (yes one quarter of an inch) and there were wrecks all over the place...probably 75% of the vehicles were SUV's or trucks. It can be a full time job just to save people from themselves!

Corey

wow 1/4 inch. i thought that kind of stupid stuff was limited to massachusetts:)
each year everybody forgets how to drive in the snow. well most people. there was a law in the old drivers handbook up here in mass that said for every 10 miles per hour you drive you stay back one car length from the the car in front of you. that's in dry weather. can you think how many less acidents there would be if the cops inforced that one

oh, sorry for rambling on a subjuct that's not wood related. (sore subject) (common sense)

Status
Not open for further replies.