House Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
I like to go through the articles on chimney fires just to see how they start. This one caught my eye, the stove was a BK and the report came back saying the stove pipe had a hole in it and an ember came out. Unless they were using single wall how could Class A get a hole in it? If it was on the roof it had to be Class A, or at least it should have been. Thought it was interesting that an ember could have caused this, only way I can see that happening is if they were using the BK with the bypass opened.

http://www.bluemountaineagle.com/fr...cle_1d069410-3b68-11e3-af02-0019bb2963f4.html

Ember could have been from a chimney fire that was happening at the time. Otherwise, they had some massive draft-we had that happen once or twice in high winds, the draft was so strong it was sucking the flames and small embers up (it was pretty wild to see, and I'd rather not see it, that's for sure!)

Smith said the cause of the fire was a faulty woodstove chimney that had deteriorated over time, allowing some embers to escape through a small hole and onto the cedar shake roof.
. . .
Smith said there was no sign of any negligence, and the Blaze King woodstove in use was fairly new.

To me it sounds like they replaced the wood stove without doing a proper inspection on the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.