House has pellet stove and furnace vented in same flue.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crizzoft

Aug 2, 2013
Central Mass
First time poster, been a lurker for quite some time and have really learned alot from this site with regards to my Harman Advance and my pending purchase of my quadrafire 4100i wood insert being installed soon.

So to the issue. Bought the house. Pellet Stove in kitchen vented through existing masonry chimney that was relined by previous owner with 6" stainless steel pipe that presumably goes all the way up. Had a chimney inspection done after we bought because our inspector was less than stellar but we loved the house. Chimney guy looked at pellet stove and asked to see the basement. Stated Oil Furnace and Pellet Stove are vented into the same flue (6" SS rigid pipe) which is a big no no. Awesome...

So my plan that I am having trouble finding a solution to. Move the pellet stove to a better location in the house and vent it through the wall. Thats the easy part. The part I am having trouble with is finding a solution to closing off the flue pipe coming out that the Pellet Stove was vented through. Its a permanent solution that needs to be air tight. Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

is there a "T" installed in the rigid pipe where it splits off, or did they just cut a big ole hole and shove the pellet pipe into it? If theres a "T" you can likely find a cap and seal it up.

There is a "T". Sounds like exactly what I want to do. Where does one find such a cap. Only thing I can find are the decorative ones that i doubt are air tight

You can fab up a lot of things, but likely none will be up to code.... you might want to check with your town hall first before spending money on anything. you very well may be required to remove the whole thing and re-line....

Reactions: Delta-T
We have a similar setup although nothing is hooked up to the flu. When I had the flu inspected by a chimney company they said it would need to be cemented up with a cap. I have no idea what that entails though. Sounded like it was a pretty easy fix though.

There is a "T". Sounds like exactly what I want to do. Where does one find such a cap. Only thing I can find are the decorative ones that i doubt are air tight
if you can find the manufacturer of that brand of pipe, they likely make a cap specifically for that. do check with local code/fire czar to see if they require something else as well. you may be able to seal it with hi temp RTV silicone, maybe cement.

I feel if your not using the furnace and wanted to use pellet stove it's not a big deal , the amount of pellet exhaust is miniscule compared to a oil furnace

I feel if your not using the furnace and wanted to use pellet stove it's not a big deal , the amount of pellet exhaust is miniscule compared to a oil furnace

Wrong. Both are positive pressure exhaust appliances. And the exhaust will take the path of least resistance. Up down or sideways.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
You may get a better answer in the wood stove forum. When we looked at homes several years ago several were vented this way with a regular wood stove and a boiler. I got the impression at some point it was not against code and now it was. Our flu is also like this in our home we just never used it so I didn't think much of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.