House heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy

Nov 7, 2009
Indiana
So my design load for my house came out to 90k btu. Right now I have a taco 11 running 2 1" pex feed lines 150' to a water to air heat exchanger. Do you think this pump is running to many gpm?

Erin

A good way to tell is to check the temperature difference between the supply/return lines. If they are 10 degrees apart or less, I would try a smaller pump like a Grundfos 15-58 or Wilo S21 and see what happens. If a smaller pump still provides enough heat the reduced electrical cost will pay for it pretty quickly.

Ya I thought about doing that. Ill change it over when I switch boilers. Hopefully by next year.

Ty
Erin

Ya I thought about doing that. Ill change it over when I switch boilers. Hopefully by next year.

Ty
Erin
It would be interesting to check the temperature differential right now while it's still burning. Knowing that and being able to roughly calculate the flow in your system would give you somewhat of a handle on actual heating load.

Heaterman, I have a # 7 taco pump on my shop run. Ill just use it. I probably won't get to it til the weekend though and it's supposed to warm up.

Also do I check the water temp at the inlet and outlet on the boiler? I have checked the before with an ir gun and it was less than 5* if I remember right. I thought it was better to have as low as possible temperature drop as possible. Or should I check it when the the furnace is on?
Erin

Status
Not open for further replies.