House Humidifier for Forced-Air Propane?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlame

Jan 12, 2006
The small console humidifier I was using last year gave up the ghost (fan is shot). It was always too small for my house anyways, and I want to replace it with something adequate this time around.

My house is ~2700 square feet, but has a lot of volume (two story foyer, 9' first floor ceilings, cathedral ceiling in master bedroom). I figure the only real solution is a whole-house setup.

A whole house setup is a good fit, since I have a forced-air propane heating system. However, the issue that I'm running into is that I do not run my central furnace much for heat, since I have a Jotul Oslo that takes care of about 80% of my heating. I do run the furnace fan quite often, to distribute heat throughout the house. What I'm finding is that most (if not all?) of the whole house units rely on the heated air to work properly, and in my case heated air via the furnace is not the norm.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions for a whole-house system that would work with just the furnace fan running? I found something on the internet about a steam humidifier system, but there was not much info on it and from what I gather it was relatively expensive.

Any advice or comments would be great.

Why not put a pan of water on the stove? They make some attractive units in different colors for this - check Plow & Hearth. Cheap, Easy and Bullet proof.

We dry all of our clothes on racks by the stove which keeps our humidity around 45-50 percent. Saves a ton of money too.

Status
Not open for further replies.