House Value with Second Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zendiagrams

Dec 29, 2007
Williams, PA
skinner.org
I have many reasons why I want to do this, however I need to consider ultimately the value of my house also, since there is a possibility we will be moving in 4-5 years to a new house.

Currently we have a pellet stove on our first floor, since we tore down many walls and made all the common rooms one large area, it is working like a charm the past 3 years.

Now in our walk out basement we have a wood burning fireplace no insert. I was considering putting in a wood burning insert to be more efficient, yet still maintaining the ambiance that fire wood offers. However, I am starting to lean more towards a second pellet stove both for ease of use with the fuel and over all efficiency. But it also comes down to the value of my house. Here in Eastern, PA people love having the option for a fire place, especially the people flooding the area from NJ who do not have this "luxury". Now my personal goal to get off the grid would be fulfilled, however with the potential sale, which is in question. Yes the person could always take the insert out.

Do any of you think that there is a major difference in the overall value that will come out of my house if I go with the wood insert over the pellet insert?

IMO, No...no real difference in the house value. This will go down to one of those selling points where it is not really possible to anticipate the preference of perspective buyers. Having said that, I would steer away from a 2nd pellet appliance. I suspect that many buyers will like the idea of having a way to heat in power outages.
I am a big fan of staying diversified whenever possible!

I agree. If you are intending to sell the house in the next few years you will likely not see any return on the investment. Some people will see the pellet stove as a nice thing, others as a novelty and still others as a liability. A nice wood fired insert will probably be more desirable to a prospective home buyer, but I wouldn't add it unless you intend to get maximum value out of it for you and your family.

Agreed here also - that a pellet stove would not be a selling point, especially a 2nd one. I do see them listing in RE sales pitches, but that is only because they are already there. As an example, how many builders do you think include pellet stoves as an extra or standard? (very few).

Webmaster said:
Agreed here also - that a pellet stove would not be a selling point, especially a 2nd one. I do see them listing in RE sales pitches, but that is only because they are already there. As an example, how many builders do you think include pellet stoves as an extra or standard? (very few).

True...but...I just had my house appraised...the appraiser informed me that another source of heat ie:pellet or wood is a positive selling attraction although no extra value. I tend to believe that if oil gets to 4 bucks or higher next season it will be an extremely good selling point lol.

Well, heck, in some parts of maine a logging truck or old plow truck in the woods next to the house increases the value!

But, in general......unless the buyer is already a Pellet Heat - and stats would show that to be the exception, the value would be little. Because it is not a "built-in" like a Fireplace, a new buyer has the choice of buying the exact model they want and placing it anywhere they want. Then again, a newer Harman XXVVVIIII might command a little premium, especially if you threatened to take it with instead of including.

I think we used our Jotul Gas Stove (hooked into the fireplace) as a negotiating point in our last house sale. We did not include it in the original listing, but assumed (and rightly so), that we would end up giving it to the buyer at no extra charge.

Further to this thread, Pellet Stoves (in general) do not command a high resale value. Not like a Honda Civic or anything like that.....same could be said about coal stoves and prob even some wood stoves. There are exceptions. You can probably get original cost for some VC's in excellent shape.

I don't believe that a 2nd stove is going to be an asset when you decide to sell. Would it be possible to install a freestanding pellet stove in front of the hearth opening to use until you move and just plan on taking it with you when you go? Leaving the new home owners with just the intact hearth?

Status
Not open for further replies.