Houston, the Brick Rocket HAS IGNITION!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooserider

Mod Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006
Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
Finally got the Fire Dept. guy over today to sign off the stoves - he looked at both, took no measurements, (not that it was really needed) told me I done good and signed my forms. Then he told me I needed to call the Building Dept. who had told me I needed to get the FD's approval, and get them to inspect as well. Fortunately he got here almost an hour early...

So I called the Building Dept. and discovered that they had not given me all the paperwork I was supposed to have, and that it may take a few days to arrange to get the second required inspection because of this. I had to jump in the car and run down there to try and get stuff straightened out. The Inspector was fairly helpful, went over all the forms with me and got the info he needed.

NOW they tell me that they want $25 per stove to come do another inspection, I said that they had told me before that it was no charge and they said that was just for the FD inspection... :grrr:

So I asked if I could burn yet, and was told that I really wasn't supposed to, but that since I had gotten the FD signoff, he wouldn't object if I did - just don't burn the house down. Actually he said that it was better in some ways if I did burn before the final since that would show up any problems...

So I came home and have started to burn - break in fire, but it has turned into a hotter / longer fire than I was planning.

I started w/ a couple of sheets of newspaper, some splitter area scrap, and a few sticks of kindling. Got some good flames fairly quickly though it was a little slow to start, burned up the paper so I went to one little square of fire starter. I then added a couple of small splits when the kindling started to die down. The temperature on the griddle top rapidly reached 300*, and kept climbing even after I turned the air to the lowest setting. This had a visible effect on the flames. With full air they were bright yellow/white and looked windblown. With minimum air, they became less bright, more orangish and lazy looking. When the temp hit 600* after about 30 minutes, I kicked in the cat, even though it was WAY early for doing so. The flames got lower in volume, and became much redder, but still had plenty, plus occasional secondary flares. I went outside and it was hard to tell in the dark, but it looked like I was doing some smoke, but less than the old smoke dragon did.

After 45 minutes or so, the flames were down to a minimum, and the stove temp was back down to around 3-400* so I kicked the cat back out, and am now getting a bit more flame. I plan to let the stove burn out now and cool before I build another fire in a bit.

I did notice that the stove whistles very softly - sort of a "blowing across a bottle" whoosh - I presume this is the secondary air inlet feeding in.

But it is great to finally be burning!

Gooserider

Always fun to see the NEW ONE get broken in ! It will be fun to get to see her in full performance and
to see how this one kicks the pants off the 'Old Smoke Dragon'.

Congrats Goose....now show us some burn-in pics while she's cruising along @ 600*

Remember goose according to some sources here you have a stove only meant for recreational use. Its not a new stove. so let her rip

600 degrees you are pulling a good draft, so you probably can cut the air down engage the cat and sit back, like the old maytag repairman.

Sounds like it is working perfectly Congrats and enjoy. I still think you ended up with one of the best deals of the season with that stove.

btw Goose's combustor is the off market one that will fire off at 380 degrees. It should perform better than OEM specs. You should get 8 hours of productive heat

Well the first fire seemed to last about 2-3 hours, with just a couple of small splits. Now I've got the real fire going w/ three larger splits and will see how it does. It got going much faster this time around, I kicked in the cat after only about 15-20 minutes when I hit 600* on the griddle. That significantly killed the flames, but I cracked the air open a bit and am now getting a few flames, so I think all is well. What will really tell is tomorrow when I can go look at the chimney in daylight to see how much smoke I'm getting.

I want to post pix, I've got a bunch in the camera right now, but I'm having some sort of problem w/ my kernel and its not recognizing the card so I can download it. :down: I need to make the time to sit down and reconfigure my kernel and do a recompile - need to update anyways.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.