Houston, we have a problem...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fossil

Accidental Moderator
Hearth Supporter
Sep 30, 2007
Bend, OR
This bird is on the lee side my roof. I've never seen a bird like this around here. I did a bit of googling, and learned that it's most likely a White Homing Pigeon (what many mistakenly refer to as a White Dove). These birds are typically released in a dramatic flourish during a rite or ceremony, and they find their way back home. Owners of these birds get paid to provide those services. This bird doesn't belong here. The winds have been brutally gusty today, and I'm wondering whether this bird was blown way off course and is lost, or is injured. In any case, it's not normal for this bird to be here. Rick

Attachments

• pigeon2.jpg
    pigeon2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 279
  • pigeon1.jpg
    pigeon1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 253
It doesn't look injured. Can or could you see a band on it's leg? If you read up on the homing pigeons it is really interesting. I know they used them back in WWII and maybe even WWI.

Gary

Didn't see a band, but I could only see its left leg. After a couple hour sojourn on my roof, it's gone now, apparently on it's way again. Pretty bird, I hope it finds its way safely back to wherever it belongs. Rick

Nice roof.

Yeah, Gary, agreed. I have read some about homing pigeons...including their "service" in wartime you mentioned earlier. The stories are truly amazing. I wish it well, whatever it's story happens to be. Rick

BrotherBart said:
Nice roof.

Thanks. I wish you had paid for it. %-P

BrotherBart said:
Nice roof.

:lol: we are all checking out the bird and BB is pricing the roof in the interwebz....
:lol: :coolgrin:

Rick, excellent pics. Nice roof as well...love that look.

Status
Not open for further replies.