How About An Air Eliminator On Each Zone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
This is prompted by my ongoing system purging issue.

With only two zones, pumping vertically down to return, how about putting in a vertically mounted air eliminator for each zone? I'm having the devil of a time getting the air out and I'm sure it'll happen again, even if I manage to get it clear now.
What do you think?

zone air separators.jpg

Attachments

• zone air separators.jpg
    zone air separators.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 114
This is prompted by my ongoing system purging issue.

With only two zones, pumping vertically down to return, how about putting in a vertically mounted air eliminator for each zone? I'm having the devil of a time getting the air out and I'm sure it'll happen again, even if I manage to get it clear now.
What do you think?

View attachment 142884

======================================================================================================
They will not work like that as the air has to rise to the
top of the hump then escape.

you have to remember that compressed air bubbles
rise in hot or cold water.

Still trying to understand your pumping method.

Your air problems are not being helped by the two circulators on the return.

Putting air eliminators (auto vents) on the elbow above each circulator used to be common practice 20+ years ago, problem being they will fail and are in a poor location leading to possible air being sucked into the system as it's the point of the least pressure in the system.

Best practice is putting the two circulators on the supply side of the boiler with the air elimination at the point of no pressure change (expansion tank connection).

TS

Might pay you to open things up and put in a good purge tee arrangement at an appropriate spot in your system.
You want to configure the following sequence of valves somewhere that will allow a good blow through your system with line pressure from a garden hose size stream.

Look at the pump in the drawing below. It has isolation flanges on each side but also a tee with a boiler drain both ahead and after. (There are other places for the BD/BV/BD configuration but this is where they are in this particular drawing)
The idea is to allow connection of good flow/pressure source to the main, the circulate all the way through the system back to the BD just ahead of the pump. We always purge into a 5 gallon bucket so we can see when we quit getting air bubbles back.
Also note that the expansion tank is in "front" or upstream of the main circ in the system. This is the correct place for your air scoop also as the system circulator cannot change the pressure at that point and it will also be the lowest PSI in the system allowing air to escape.

Basic hydronic piping near boiler.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.