How about some pictures of Wood Boxes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotulburner

Sep 9, 2010
maine
I thought it would be nice to see different ideas for wood boxes. I bet some of the members of this forum have interesting and unique designs. Please post Pics of yours. Thanks

Kinda blends in with the back ground but this is what I got out of a sheet of 3/4'' plywood. 4'L x 18"W x 2'H I have since added a few supports so I can pile a weeks worth in there.

DSCF2070.jpg

I might have to borrow your idea, my hearth has a strange cut out in the brick that I never know what to do with, that could be the trick!

Not so much a box as a ring....

My wife bought me this for Christmas last year. Super cool, imo. It was hand forged by a local blacksmith. It holds about 2 average days of wood.

Picture113.jpg

Picture143.jpg

That must make a mess though?

I have a plywood box, forget the size, but it's around 18" x20x20 or so. I put it on caster wheels.

Push it out the front door to the wood pile on teh porch, fill it up and push it back inside to by the fire. I put an old towel at the bottom to soak up moisture from melting snow.

NATE379 said:

I have a plywood box, forget the size, but it's around 18" x20x20 or so. I put it on caster wheels.

Push it out the front door to the wood pile on teh porch, fill it up and push it back inside to by the fire. I put an old towel at the bottom to soak up moisture from melting snow.
At least in my case, my wife would prefer an aesthetically pleasing rack where she can clean up the mess daily vs a box.

There is typically a little mess here or there that needs cleaned up anyways so she already has the sweeper out.

Built out of scrap tongue and groove pine boards I had left over.

Has a plastic bin -- originally to contain any water that would come off the snow or ice as my wood was under tarps in Year One. Now the plastic tote helps contain the dirt, bark, mess that comes off the wood.

A separate side allows me to store my kindling, paper, lighter, Super Cedars, etc.

Hooks are on the side for my gloves, flashlight, IR thermometer, etc.

Attachments

• woodbox1.jpg
    woodbox1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,458
  • woodbox2.jpg
    woodbox2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,458
  • woodbox4.jpg
    woodbox4.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,490
No picture,

I just use a big Tupperware storage bin, like you can buy at the home depot. It's big - like 50 gal size. It will hold a full 24 hour's worth of wood in the dead cold of winter. I only burn half of it on early season days. I like it because it keeps all the dust and crud off the floor (very clean). It also protects my wood floors. I got it in a gun metal gray color that matches the stone on my hearth. Oh yeah - it was cheap. During the summer - I put it in the garage and store my chainsaws and processing stuff in it.

Mine was a hand me down, it's been around and it shows!

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpg
    IMG_5068.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1,407
Made this one out of sheet-metal at my shop. its good for the chunks and stuff to for the shoulder season.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,337
I looked for a long time to find something right for the living room. I wanted something that wasn't too 'ornate' and fit 18" splits. I could make it myself but didn't want to spend the time. I started looking at racks but didn't want an open bottom. It amazes me that about 95% of the indoor racks are open at the bottom...no tray, no nothing! What a mess! So I started looking for various types of boxes or crates. If you are looking to purchase I suggest looking for outdoor planters. They are about the only line of products big enough to hold a day or more worth of splits. A bit pricey but, I settled on this one instead of the larger rectangular one of the same design: http://www.chiasso.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=55540

I may spruce it up a bit with a few of these: http://www.pattonscorp.com/catalog/...Iron-Flowers-and-Leaves/c49_192_87/index.html
or these: http://www.frankmorrow.com/Products/index.cfm?displayGrouping=1&displayCategory=55&&StartRow;=17

Attachments

• woodbox.jpg
    woodbox.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,228
158 dollars. ..I need to get in the wood box business

tfdchief said:
Been using this for many years.

Saw one exactly like that on Craigslist for $30 yesterday.

NATE379 said:

No mess really. I try to knock off any dirt and loose bark when I stack it and cover my stacks with a sheet of plywood to keep the snow off. Sure there may be a little to sweep up from under it but really nothing at all.

I had nothing better to do today so I finally got around to building my wood box.

Attachments

• woodbox.jpg
    woodbox.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,050
The only pic I have of mine was when I was working on my kin'lin stash. It is a Vermont Castings. I wanted to go bigger but the wife vetoed it.

100_0392.JPG

AppalachianStan said:
I had nothing better to do today so I finally got around to building my wood box.

Are those eco bricks underneath the box?

Old box from the garage. I like it, fortunate the wife does too!

Attachments

• wood box.jpg
    wood box.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 785
weatherguy said:
AppalachianStan said:

Are those eco bricks underneath the box?

Yes they are.

Built this one out of a bunch of oak flooring I picked up at a yard sale for a couple bucks. It has been sitting around doing exactly what I bought it for. Waiting for the right project. Got the basic design off of a youtube video and went with it. Stained it to try to make it fit in a little better and hung a drape in the back to protect the wall.

It holds about 3-4 days of wood depending on the weather and I have to say it is one of the best improvements I have made. Before I used an outdoor box on the deck and everytime I needed to reload I had to open the door a couple times and bring in armloads. It made a mess of the carpet EVERY time no matter how careful I was. Now I bring in it once every few days and run the vacuum a lot less. The other benefit is that the wood gets a chance to warm up to room temp and dry out any remaining surface moisture.

All in all I'm pleased with the arrangement. Looks like I'm due for a reload.

Attachments

• woodbox stand-1.jpg
    woodbox stand-1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 784
DuckDog said:

My wife bought me this for Christmas last year. Super cool, imo. It was hand forged by a local blacksmith. It holds about 2 average days of wood.

Picture113.jpg

Picture143.jpg

I got to say that really pulls off an awsome look!

I turned two of these:
beforelograck.jpg

in to this:
lograck2.jpg

smokinjay said:
DuckDog said:

Picture113.jpg

Picture143.jpg

I got to say that really pulls off an awsome look!

An awesome look indeed but WAY too clean for my lifestyle and habits. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.