how age changes perception

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kjsnooks

Sep 20, 2007
Idaho
Ok let me start by saying im not that old but here is what ive noticed.

I just about have all the wood i got from the mtns split and stacked maybe a half cord left. I noticed last night as i was out there splitting with my maul (renting splitters is for the really old ppl! :p) that i was quite enjoying it and was not at all inclined to go in for the night untill dark. Now 11 years ago when i was a kid this was my most hated chore, so much so in fact i had talked my parents into staking the wood before it was split and i would go out once a wee to split what we needed during winter. I was thrilled to death when we finally move into a propane heated house!
Now it doesnt seem like such a chore(untill it interferes with fishing. I once let my lawn burn for two months because the wife said it needed mowed before i went fishing. My logic= no water,no growing, now mowing!).
Any way that thought just occured to me last night thought i would share it in case othere parents have kids who hate the chores of wood, there is hope!

I can't agree with you more. I look forward to working in the woods, where 25 years ago, it was a chore! As far as the lawn being mowed, I'll tell you what I told my neighbor when he first moved in.
Grass is made for erosion control. I think Kevin Costner said it best, "if you burn it, it will let you go fishing...." or something like that.

Maybe I'm not so old after all. I bought my splitter and have never rented one!

btw, I have always enjoyed working in the woods. Hope it is always that way.

Backwoods Savage said:
Maybe I'm not so old after all. I bought my splitter and have never rented one!

You got it. Life is too short to beat on trees. If God had intended for me to beat on trees hydraulic fluid would have never been invented.

The splitter so far has cost me $40 a year and it is still going. Seven bucks a cord plus the gas it sips.

$40 per year is pretty good. We finally broke down and bought our splitter about 17 years ago. Paid $750 for it and that included the hydraulic fluid, but I had to put it together. So far BrotherBart, you have me beat. I'm at $44 per year and counting. Also, no problems with the splitter, that is, I've fixed nothing. Only change the oil once per year and keep feeding it gas, but very little of that.

btw, I too have the bad back. Polio in my youth plus a horrendous injury 20 some odd years ago. But I still wake up breathing in the mornings. That's good...I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.