How best to carry, load/unload Jotul 4 into/out of SUV?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaski

Jun 24, 2013
Greencastle
Hi....am new member and about-to-be newbie owner of a Jotul 4.
We're buying a Jotul 4 Combifire and picking it up in OH on our drive to WV. Driving a Toyota RAV4. This thing weighs 296# and seems unwieldly. Worry about the tailgate not supporting such weight AND the inside of the cargo space....so...are having second thoughts about it.

Are parts removable to lighten the load? Has anyone had experience moving this stove and can offer advice? Is there a right way/wrong way to handle this?

Thanks for any advice!

I'd consider a piece of plywood under the stove in the back of the suv for protection. That and some ramps (the longer the better, just need to be sturdy) and a couple of guys, you should be able to slide the stove and plywood in or out w/out much trouble.

My uncle and I moved my 400 some odd pound wood stove out the back of my truck by simply walking down some 8 foot oak planks.

Get 4 guys around and you should be able to do whatever you need with that stove an extra helper to hold ramps or whatever never hurts either. Get a case a beer (to be opened after the job is done) and make it a few hours of fun for you and a couple of buddies.

I think you're over-thinking this. It's 300 lb. The weight of one average fat man, or two middle school kids.

Get some 1/4" masonite or plywood to protect your vehicle, and something to use as a ramp, even if it's just a piece of 2 x 10. You won't have much trouble walking a stove that size down the ramp with two men. Have someone position a dolly at the bottom of the ramp, so you can transition straight onto it.

Take out any removable parts and 2 men will be able to move this, take your time and you will be all right. Mine was heavy but we did the same and all was good......gl

I would hope that even a RAV4 could handle 300lbs extra. One thing to consider is that it sounds like the stove pick up may be a detour while on vacation. If you already have extra passengers and vacation gear you may already have a fairly loaded vehicle for something that small. Eyes on the gauges and go get that heater.

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks for all the great ideas--remove parts, plywood, long ramp to slide it up and down, dolly to catch it when unloading, manpower, beer. Piece of cake. Yes, tend to over-think, but like to be prepared, especially since will need to have this stuff with when we get to pick-up place. Taking Jotul to its new home...has whole cargo area + flattened back seats to itself other than a suitcase and box of tools so won't exceed weight limits.

Being prepared is smart.

Let us know how you make out.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.