How best to optimize my XXV pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tundraSQ

Oct 7, 2006
I am a complete noob at this thing, and I am looking for how you guys set the stove up to heat your house, especially nights when you are sleeping and days you are not home. I am this weekend trying out stove mode and room mode. I think I like th eidea of using stove mode when away and turn the temp down a bit so most of the day it kind of hibernates. Then maybe come home and crank the sucker up using stove mode and then before bed set it back to room mode. I did notice once yesterday when it was in room mode that the stove fire went just about completely out and i had lots of smoke comeing out the exaust vent outside and some smoke smell in the house. I am playing around with room mode today to see if it repeats that but so far it has not.

on mine (advance)
Feed at 3
temp at 75
room temp set at med

I've only set it to stove temp when all the relatives are over at the holidays and it gets really hot.. this way you can see the fire without the heat being blown into the room.
The stove temp mode only regulates the temp of the stove (exhaust) so your room may get warmer or colder while you are not there.
This time of year when the sun starts shinning in my windows the room gets pretty warm and the stove will shut off which is a nice feature.

as far as the smoke smell you may smell it coming in through a nearby window that is drafty or a small leak in the pipe, the draft is lower when you don't have a fire going. How is your exhaust setup and do you use outside air?

GVA said:
on mine (advance)
Feed at 3
temp at 75
room temp set at med

I've only set it to stove temp when all the relatives are over at the holidays and it gets really hot.. this way you can see the fire without the heat being blown into the room.
The stove temp mode only regulates the temp of the stove (exhaust) so your room may get warmer or colder while you are not there.
This time of year when the sun starts shinning in my windows the room gets pretty warm and the stove will shut off which is a nice feature.

as far as the smoke smell you may smell it coming in through a nearby window that is drafty or a small leak in the pipe, the draft is lower when you don't have a fire going. How is your exhaust setup and do you use outside air?

Thanks...i also find 75 to be a good temp when in room mode...most people say 70, but that does not touch the rest of the house. And at 75 the upstairs is toasty warm. I have this set up in the corner and exausting straight out to the outside using a 45 degree elbow and a 24" straight pipe. No outside air kit as the dealer said that they never use them, especially at first. I know that the outside air temp is still only in the low mid 40's during the say and low 30ths at night so things will change in a month or so. I am just trying to read up as much as possible on all this to be and educated pellet stove guy :)

GVA said:
throw up a picture on the forum we like to see them going.

Do they go here? Or should it be in the gallery?
2w7epzc.gif

GVA said:
nice........ put it in the gallery. :)

seems a bit close to the window though

i wish the window was not there...but it is 6.5" from each back corner to t he wall on the left and the "plane" of where the wall would be on the right. It was pretty hard trying to find a location for this thing. I wanted it in a sport were it would not only warm the bottom floor, but be near the center stairs going up.

I am new in the pellet stove world myself. You mentioned that you don't have an outside air kit but the picture shows the stove right next to a window. I also have an XXV that is in a corner between two windows. I can only speak for New Hampshire but by code I had to use the air kit since the stove was within 4 feet of a door or window that could open.

MrBean said:
I am new in the pellet stove world myself. You mentioned that you don't have an outside air kit but the picture shows the stove right next to a window. I also have an XXV that is in a corner between two windows. I can only speak for New Hampshire but by code I had to use the air kit since the stove was within 4 feet of a door or window that could open.

I did the install myself and the "vent" opening is not within 4 feet of that window. It is on the left wall and while there is another window on that wall in a different room. it also is not within 4 feet. Also here in Vermont we don't have to worry to much about permits out here in the country.

I hope you got your pellets early since they sure did go sky high up here in the NE. Luckily it never gets cold up here anyways. You didn't say where you are from up here but if you are in the northern part near BVT there is one ( cheaper, used to be anyways) place to get them. N to the end of I 89 in Swanton then about 3 miles into Canada on the right. Friend of mine used to get em for $107 ton a couple years ago. there. Big monsterous buildings right by the road, looks like B-29 Hangars. Of course they went up like the rest. Luckily mine is multifuel so I went to corn and never looked back. $140 vs $240 corn vs pellets makes a powerful argument for burning the stuff. Its really hardly any different and you can mix em for pellet stove use if you are of the pioneering type.

Driz said:
I hope you got your pellets early since they sure did go sky high up here in the NE. Luckily it never gets cold up here anyways. You didn't say where you are from up here but if you are in the northern part near BVT there is one ( cheaper, used to be anyways) place to get them. N to the end of I 89 in Swanton then about 3 miles into Canada on the right. Friend of mine used to get em for $107 ton a couple years ago. there. Big monsterous buildings right by the road, looks like B-29 Hangars. Of course they went up like the rest. Luckily mine is multifuel so I went to corn and never looked back. $140 vs $240 corn vs pellets makes a powerful argument for burning the stuff. Its really hardly any different and you can mix em for pellet stove use if you are of the pioneering type.

I did order 4 tons....but I did not get them at a bargain. $259each. I am in southern VT and bought from the Stove Depot.

Im still playing with my XXV.
For the heck of it I just moved it to stove temp mode and maxed out the feed rate and the temp to 9.
In about 20 minutes the house went from 66* to over 70*. Right now its 45* here outside.
Im still adjusting my feed rate, Im using energex premium pellets.
Here is a photo of the stoves burn pot showing my ash line. I have lots of clumps of stuff that too me at least looks like unburned pellets.
So far Im loving the stove. Cant wait till it gets really cold here to try it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 331
no.....set it at 3-1/2....too high a feed rate will result in incomplete combustion, possibly with dire effects....the dreaded creosote....

Status
Not open for further replies.