How big is too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougemil

Jul 2, 2008
silverton, co
i'm building a small home high in colorado that will have ~1000sqft of living space, cathedral ceiling and lots of passive solar. primary heat will come from a woodstove that will see action from september through june. the temps will get to -20 or lower here in the heart of winter on a clear night.

i want to be able get my living space warm enough that i can hang out in shorts if i choose but i don't want to be overpowered or wasteful with a stove that's too big.

so how big is too big? given the extreme temps here am i crazy to be looking at stoves that claim to be capable of heating 1500-2000sf?

so far i'm leaning towards a jotul or a lopi.

How well insulated is it?

I do not think that a 1500 to 2000 would be to big for your area, especially when it gets way below zero.
How I look at it, with a modern bigger stove you can run it on low and obtain at least 10-12 burn times, as apposed to a smaller stove which you would need to run at a higher temp and only get 4-6 hour burn times. Most modern stoves have a secondary combustion which allows you to run it on low and still have a very efficient burn, (lots of heat, no smoke).

I'd say you're looking at stoves in about the appropriate capacity range. Both manufactures cited (along with many others) make fine stoves. Make sure you plan for installation of a ceiling fan. Welcome to the forum! Rick

Look into the soapstones. You can go much bigger and still not get blasted out of the room. I can sit at my computer and enjoy the forum 7' from my soap while it's cruising at over 500 degrees and no worry of sweat dripping into my eyes.

Kind of off topic, but I drove through Silverton back in the early 90's on my way to CA. Beautiful area!

I have an Englander 13NC that claims to heat up to 1500 sp ft. Here in central ME it can get down to -20F or more, and our stove has no problems keeping our house warm. Granted its only 960 sq ft and no cathedral ceiling......but with a ceiling fan I think this stove would keep you plenty comfortable.

Just another choice for you

I imagine that in Colorado, you're going to be burning mostly softwoods, like a lot of us unfortunate westerners. Larch (what most people call Tamarack) makes for some pretty good firewood, although Pine burns just fine, as does Fir. We just burn through a lot of it, but somehow we muddle through. Tending toward a stove with a larger firebox will help you manage the fact that we're "wood-challenged" out here. :) Rick

Based on our ex-Colorado guru MSG's experiences, I would second the recommendation for a soapstone stove like a Woodstock or a Hearthstone. I'd look at the Woodstock FireView or the Hearthstone Heritage for starters. A mid-sized Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 should also burn long and gently radiate heat.

FWIW, from what I remember he said that the high altitude spruce he was burning was super dense and burned like hardwood.

fossil said:
I imagine that in Colorado, you're going to be burning mostly softwoods, like a lot of us unfortunate westerners. Larch (what most people call Tamarack) makes for some pretty good firewood, although Pine burns just fine, as does Fir. We just burn through a lot of it, but somehow we muddle through. Tending toward a stove with a larger firebox will help you manage the fact that we're "wood-challenged" out here. :) Rick

copy that. i've got a growing stockpile of pine. have you been pretty happy with your lopi?

You know, I don't know what westerners complain about... Other than having shorter burn times and less coals, there's nothing wrong with softwoods. Typically, they buck easier and split easier, so I'd say the work effort is equivalent to that required for hardwoods. It just takes a little more physical space.

I'll be burning plenty of sassafras, cucumbertree, and poplar, because... well, I have it. But I kinda look forward to cutting these trees (uh, except the 5' diam poplars... eesh). Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of Cherry, all viariety of maple, beech, a little ash, and an occasional oak or chestnut.

BeGreen said:
Based on our ex-Colorado guru MSG's experiences, I would second the recommendation for a soapstone stove like a Woodstock or a Hearthstone. I'd look at the Woodstock FireView or the Hearthstone Heritage for starters. A mid-sized Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 should also burn long and gently radiate heat.

FWIW, from what I remember he said that the high altitude spruce he was burning was super dense and burned like hardwood.

got lots of high alt spruce from up to 11,000'. is the soapstone what the firebox is lined with?

snowbound said:
...have you been pretty happy with your lopi?

Yup, perfectly happy with it. New install last fall, so we've been through just one (loooong) burning season, but it does the job quite nicely, and we like how it looks in our home. Rick

derecskey said:
You know, I don't know what westerners complain about...

Ain't complainin' 'bout nothin', I love it here. :coolsmile: Rick

We don't complain about the softwood, usually have to tell people that it's fine. It is just as heacy as any wood when green so the processing is no less difficult per cord when using a splitter.

The soapstone stoves aren't lined with soapstone. They are made of soapstone. Solid blocks of it fill in a thin cast iron frame. You may only have 1000 SF but the vaulted ceiling will give you as much volume as a larger SF home. The SF ratings assume a standard flat ceiling.

Soapstone's not a good structural material, it's a fairly soft rock, composed of a good deal of talc. It is easily carved and shaped, and has found a zillion uses from art to countertops over the centuries. Like marble and other stones, it can vary widely in appearance depending on the source, and can be quite beautiful. It does have a very high capacity for absorbing, then re-radiating heat...thus its use in stoves. It has to supported in/by a framework of steel or cast iron to build a stove. It's both cosmetic and thermally functional. It will take longer to warm up and begin to radiate, and it will continue to radiate heat longer after the fire has completed its burn cycle, compared with either an all-cast or an all-steel stove. There are some really pretty ones out there. Have fun! Rick

snowbound said:
BeGreen said:

got lots of high alt spruce from up to 11,000'. is the soapstone what the firebox is lined with?

MSG said it was good firewood, slow growing and very dense. Soapstone stoves are build with different techniques. So have soapstone on the interior, but most have it on the outside to show off it's beauty. The metal frame is frequently available in several different enameled colors.

Here's some links to the stoves mentioned:
http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=3
http://www.woodstove.com/pages/wood_stove_fireview.html
http://www.pacificenergy.net/product_alderleaT5.php

fossil said:
Soapstone's not a good structural material, it's a fairly soft rock, composed of a good deal of talc. It is easily carved and shaped, and has found a zillion uses from art to countertops over the centuries. Like marble and other stones, it can vary widely in appearance depending on the source, and can be quite beautiful. It does have a very high capacity for absorbing, then re-radiating heat...thus its use in stoves. It has to supported in/by a framework of steel or cast iron to build a stove. It's both cosmetic and thermally functional. It will take longer to warm up and begin to radiate, and it will continue to radiate heat longer after the fire has completed its burn cycle, compared with either an all-cast or an all-steel stove. There are some really pretty ones out there. Have fun! Rick

Very well put.

I will add that soapstone has a "leveling" effect on the heat. It softens the heat curve a bit by its absorption and radiation properties, thereby reducing the temp swings that are common amongst steel stoves and cast iron.

And I should add that if you're into Led Zeppelin, you probably won't think much of soapstone, as it really is soft rock. :lol: Rick

Choice is yours, of course...

Is this going to be the primary (only) heat source ?
Don't think you would go wrong with 'a little bigger'-extra capacity- and you can always open a window if need be !

Love my Lopi- nice, efficent modern stove- very wood stingy and when up to speed (secondary combustion)- doesen't produce any 'smoke'. Like the top-loading and front features myself also no catalitic convertors to mess with, (replace).

BUT...
Also live 20 miles from Woodstock Soapstone Co. - and will vouch that they make the most excellent soapstone woodstoves in the world- none better- and very pretty too.

You won't go wrong with either.

Mishmouse you have to talk to someone in your neighborhood for the best advice possible. We're like you in that we walk around in shorts during the coldest part of winter and we have a Quadafire 4300...but you may need the next size up...or maybed not since your house is less than half the size of ours. If you see a neighbor with a wood pile introduce yourself before making a purchase.

I wanted to point out something that Fossil touched on. It may take a while to heat up some stoves. You didn't say whether this would be a vacation home or permanent residence. If you arrive to a vacation home and hope to heat the thing up with some large mass stoves like cast iron or soapstone it could be a while before you can get the place really warm. I've owned a steel plate stove with air jacket around the firebox & integrated circulating fan that pumped out some SERIOUS BTUs. My new cast iron stove is radiant and doesn't come close to the rapid heat output that my prior steel stove provided. If you are permanently residing though, I think those mentioned stoves are great and I can't think of anybody saying 'my stove is too big'. I bought the biggest stove in the Jotul line and I'm not sorry. Some of these stoves have secondary combustion tubes in the firebox and the box narrows vertically at the back. You'll be surprised how that firebox never seems big enough!

I can tell you that I have the Avalon Arbor (same stove as Lopi Leyden). Burn times are nowhere near what they claim. Just a bit of helpful advice if those claims of 18 hour burn times from Lopi get you leaning toward them!

Don't believe everything you hear about a soapstone taking a long time to heat things up. By this, I hear people saying it takes 3 or 4 hours to heat up a home with a soapstone. Nothing could be further from the truth! It just does not take that much longer to get heat from a soapstone than from any other stove.

Also, I was told that soapstone gives a "softer" heat rather than the harsh hot heat like a steel stove. To that, I say, True! It is just downright wonderful. And they are a beautiful stove too. We love our Fireview soapstone stove and one of the biggest benefits is that it burns a lot less wood and keeps us a lot warmer. Give the folks at Woodstock a call. They will not high pressure you either, or at least they did not do that to me or anyone else I've spoken to.

Status
Not open for further replies.