How big is too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ridensnow23

Feb 29, 2012
Western PA
I responded to a guy on Craigslist who is going to drop two large Oaks near his house. The larger of the two trees is around 30-32" in diameter.

I've never taken trees that large. I'm concerned that the trunk will be too large to manage. I have an 18" saw. I asked the guy to have the tree service cut the trunk into smaller chunks if possible.

What's your opinion on this? How do you suggest tackling logs that big?

Sounds like you'll be doing some "noodling". Much less work for you if the tree guys will do this for you but either way it's a good score! If you have to noodle keep a sharp chain going. I have found cutting thru the bark is easier than cutting thru the end of a round.....this is assuming you won't be splitting when they are that big.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that technique. I found some posts on it, and it makes sense now. Thanks for the help.

Its NEVER too big!! We cut a dead oak up a couple of weeks ago that was over 54" across on the main trunk......here's a pic of me working the one side of it above the main trunk. Like the others said, make sure your chain is good and sharp, and noodle (rip cut) the pieces that you need to......lots of good BTU's in that oak, but the green stuff will take a few years to season once C/S/S........

Attachments

• index.jpeg
    index.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 944
Sometimes a tree service will buck them to what you want. Sometimes you take what you get. Even though it's free, it might be worth a few bucks to you if they can buck it with a big saw, to the length you want. You can do it with yours. You just need a straight cutting chain, and work from both sides. A cant hook also makes dealing with the big ones much easier. I don't go to the woods without one.

A sledge and a couple of splitting wedges should take care of the majority of the big rounds. At least make them into manageable pieces. Being yard trees, though, they will probably have lots of branches and knots and crotches. You'll likely end up noodling some.

Big rounds are nice if they split easy. You end up with a big pile of firewood, quickly.

1. Noodle them
2. Get close enough to roll them on a trailer with a ramp
3. Split the wood on location
4. Cut down to 18" or less and use a dolly
5. Tie 'em to your bumper and drive on home

You're welcome.

S

ridensnow23 said:
I responded to a guy on Craigslist who is going to drop two large Oaks near his house. The larger of the two trees is around 30-32" in diameter.

I've never taken trees that large. I'm concerned that the trunk will be too large to manage. I have an 18" saw. I asked the guy to have the tree service cut the trunk into smaller chunks if possible.

My opinion is there is no such thing as "too big." I'd go buy or borrow a bigger saw.

I keep several wedges and a sledge handy also. Makes loading easier ; )

I just got off the phone with a homeowner with a similar size trunk. Tree service wanted a ton of cash to dea with the trunck but dropped and ground all the branches. I only have to haul it 400 yards.

Editted to add I may just take the splitter along to ease the loading situation if my son isn't around.

I like to take it slow and think ahead with heavy stuff. Mistakes lead nowhere good ; )

Mike

I used a dolly several weekends ago on some big 35 in rounds.

Noodle several inches in and see if you can bust them up with a wedge/sledge.

I have one of these post hole digging bar thingys to help bust up the rounds too.

digging bar

Be sure to only process enough to fill your truck and then come back and repeat. The fact that the logs are so big is why many people aren't offering to take the log. Once you put all the work into it, the wood may disappear on you.

I'll just add that Oak that size often splits pretty well.
Let the owner know you'll have to do some splitting/noodling on site & it might take a few days, then tackle as Highbeam says using the above approaches. I suggest leaving noodling for only the pieces you can't split as it is not the most efficient.
I don't think you're getting over your head with that tree. Just takes some creativity & plenty of work, but the payoff is big!

The pry bar is a good idea, I always have a large one in the truck. If you noodle about 3/4 thru or so you can then split the round fairly easily, saves a bit of time with the saw. I also never leave "manageable" pieces lay at the site. If you were closer I would come have some fun with ya!

+1 on the dolly suggestion. Make sure you have ratchet straps to hold the rounds in the dolly. I would also recommend a cant hook for moving/positioning the rounds etc. It is indespensable!

If the rounds are too large to lift in the truck, split it to more manageable pieces. The bigger the tree the better!

Bigg_Redd said:
ridensnow23 said:

My opinion is there is no such thing as "too big."

Never seen my wife have you? :lol:

Gary

Gary_602z said:
Bigg_Redd said:
ridensnow23 said:

Gary
That's not nice, Gary!!! I have a feeling if she reads your post, we may never see you again, either!!! :lol: :zip:

midwestcoast said:
I'll just add that Oak that size often splits pretty well.
Let the owner know you'll have to do some splitting/noodling on site & it might take a few days, then tackle as Highbeam says using the above approaches. I suggest leaving noodling for only the pieces you can't split as it is not the most efficient.
I don't think you're getting over your head with that tree. Just takes some creativity & plenty of work, but the payoff is big!

I agree. As long as you can get it cut to length, splitting big Red Oak is no big deal. In fact it may be easier than splitting smaller stuff because you can split off the same round for a while with out bending over to grab another.

Scotty Overkill said:
Gary_602z said:
Bigg_Redd said:
ridensnow23 said:

Gary
That's not nice, Gary!!! I have a feeling if she reads your post, we may never see you again, either!!! :lol: :zip:

Well for our 30th. she said she want something that would go from 0-300 in under 6 seconds, so I bought her a bathroom scale! :lol: Did I mention that I call her the dragon lady

Gary

ridensnow23 said:

Does not sound like anything there to fear. With the 18" bar that is a piece of cake to cut up.

As for the noodling, I really hate that and simply will not do it. That oak should split very easy so just split it to the size you can handle. If you have or can borrow a cant hook, it will make the task much, much easier. You could even roll the logs up onto a truck or trailer all by yourself with a cant hook. Also with the hook, you can saw part way through the tree and then roll the log to finish the cut which will keep you from touching the ground with the saw which would dull that blade much faster than you can sharpen it. In fact, using the cant hook for even smaller trees makes your work much, much easier. I'd hate to go to the woods without one.

If I can saw it or split it to pieces 75lb each or less,I'll take it all.May take some time & effort with the big maul,sledge/wedges or X25,but if I have room its coming home in the truck.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have a heavy duty dolly and a trailer with a ramp, so I plan to tackle it that way. I feel a lot more confident about this after hearing from so many of you. I'm sure it will take me a couple weekends to get through both trees, but it will be worth it.

There were several other guys who responded to the ad for the trees. I was the quickest on the trigger for a change.

Thistle said:
If I can saw it or split it to pieces 75lb each or less,I'll take it all.May take some time & effort with the big maul,sledge/wedges or X25,but if I have room its coming home in the truck.
I take it all thistle!! That's why on the big jobs, my hydraulic splitter is always in tow!!! I love getting 30 to 40 splits out of a round, ain't going home without it. But, if it's a big job and we fill the trailer and both trucks up, we won't split any more til we go home and unload and come back. Like an earlier poster said, sometimes if you have a pile split up and laying there when you leave, it isn't there when you get back!!

Scotty Overkill said:
Thistle said:
I take it all thistle!! That's why on the big jobs, my hydraulic splitter is always in tow!!! I love getting 30 to 40 splits out of a round, ain't going home without it. But, if it's a big job and we fill the trailer and both trucks up, we won't split any more til we go home and unload and come back. Like an earlier poster said, sometimes if you have a pile split up and laying there when you leave, it isn't there when you get back!!

I watch how full the truck's getting too.Dont leave any rounds already cut to length if it wont hold any more.In case I cant make it back for the rest.Someone after me grabs it,they're gonna have to work for it just like I did.Especially if its close to the street and/or on one that sees lots of traffic.

Thistle said:
I watch how full the truck's getting too.Dont leave any rounds already cut to length if it wont hold any more.In case I cant make it back for the rest.Someone after me grabs it,they're gonna have to work for it just like I did.Especially if its close to the street and/or on one that sees lots of traffic.
EXACTLY!

Scotty Overkill said:
Its NEVER too big!! We cut a dead oak up a couple of weeks ago that was over 54" across on the main trunk......here's a pic of me working the one side of it above the main trunk. Like the others said, make sure your chain is good and sharp, and noodle (rip cut) the pieces that you need to......lots of good BTU's in that oak, but the green stuff will take a few years to season once C/S/S........

Where is your chaps at Scotty ? I had got out of the habit of wearing them every time but then the pics of the leg a couple weeks ago was a good reminder again.

ridensnow23 said:
Thanks for all the feedback. I have a heavy duty dolly and a trailer with a ramp, so I plan to tackle it that way. I feel a lot more confident about this after hearing from so many of you. I'm sure it will take me a couple weekends to get through both trees, but it will be worth it.

There were several other guys who responded to the ad for the trees. I was the quickest on the trigger for a change.
good for you! Take yer time, work smart (carefully plan each cut on the big stuff), don't overdo it and you'll be loaded up with some good oak!! Get that stuff split up ASAP so it starts seasoning right away, it'll take quite a while so try and get a jump on it....

Status
Not open for further replies.