How big is your stove.... really.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon doesn't anyone do PBR? A great working mans beer. Oh wait we were talking fireboxes. I fill mine and I get 8-12 hours, that's all I need to know.

KC

iskiatomic said:
C'mon doesn't anyone do PBR? A great working mans beer. Oh wait we were talking fireboxes. I fill mine and I get 8-12 hours, that's all I need to know.

KC

Did a bunch of PBR in the Army in the sixties when it was a buck eighty a case at the PX and Budweiser was over two dollars. Haven't touched one since. ;-) When I was drawing $84 a month though PBR tasted just fine.

Highbeam said:
What does it really mean?

First off you can't compare firebox volume to the other purely marketing specs such as burn times and SF heated. Those specs are not rock solid since so many factors outside of the stove design affect them. Firebox volume is a measurable and provable specification that has nothing to do with the installation and operation of the stove. We have found in this thread that the manufacturer specifies a false figure every time.

I don't necessarily agree that the manufacturer's are specifying a false figure. However, the industry standard for the spec should be something like the length log they specify x how wide it will fit x how high it will fit over the entire width they claim. The fact that I could theoretically stick a piece of wood on either side of the cat enclosure at the top of the firebox is irrelevant.

I am drinking a few natural lights this evening and if I was not drinking that then it would be MW best light. good luck

iskiatomic said:

KC

PBR is the "hip" beer here. College kids stand around striking poses with it in their Dickies shirts and trucker caps. It's the only cheap beer I refuse to drink. They used to put Olympia in an 11 oz. brown glass "stubby". That was my go to on a summer evening.

BrowningBAR said:
Yeah, the beginning of the first year burning I was concerned with over stuffing the stove. The second year... not so much concern.

I'm sure you find like I do that on the Vig, it works OK stuffed to the gills when the bypass is closed, but works a lot better 3/4 full when in updraft mode. Took me half the season to figure that one out.

To me, I'm a lot more concerned with how big the stove is outside the box than inside it. That's the part throwing all the heat. Larger surface areas radiate more heat at the same temperature. That's one of those inconvenient laws of physics folks tend to overlook in their quest for a long burn.

As for beer, it belongs outside the box, in a cooler on top of the stove. I ain't stooping down in the dust to grovel for a beer on a hot day. Put whatever flavor suds you want in it, just don't put anything with "lite" in the name in my cooler, 'cause I'll puke it all back up if I can ever get it down in the first place.

As for the Eagle Rare, can't say I'd ever get enough stockpiled to fill even a F100. Stuff tastes too damn good to last for long.

I just measured my Regency F1100. The claimed firebox volume is 1.4CF, I measured 18" wide 12" deep and 9" high.
That comes out to 1.125CF. Did my stove shrink or something?

geoxman said:
....then it would be MW best light.

There are some places even I won't go. :sick: ...YUCK!

BrowningBAR said:
I just checkout mine and the 10" deep might be understating things. Even measuring from the edge of the interior door lip to the vertical bar in back gives me 11". It's a bout twelve if you measure from the furthest point. Actual box size is probably about 2 cubic feet of space.

Doesn't matter either way. It will be a lot more efficient than the Vigilant. Should burn longer, too.

Oops, check your math. Even 11" deep only gets you 1.6 CF.

I didn't even consider measuring to the glass, that is not the way you are supposed to burn the stove. Approximately 10" deep is the usable firebox depth on the heritage, there is a substantial lip right where this point rests at the front. I fill the box, use all of it. If you are willing to load against the glass then you might get a little more just like if you loaded above the baffle somehow.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 568
Highbeam said:
BrowningBAR said:
I just checkout mine and the 10" deep might be understating things. Even measuring from the edge of the interior door lip to the vertical bar in back gives me 11". It's a bout twelve if you measure from the furthest point. Actual box size is probably about 2 cubic feet of space.

Doesn't matter either way. It will be a lot more efficient than the Vigilant. Should burn longer, too.

Oops, check your math. Even 11" deep only gets you 1.6 CF.

I didn't even consider measuring to the glass, that is not the way you are supposed to burn the stove. Approximately 10" deep is the usable firebox depth on the heritage, there is a substantial lip right where this point rests at the front. I fill the box, use all of it. If you are willing to load against the glass then you might get a little more just like if you loaded above the baffle somehow.

Seriously though, what type of burn times are you getting out of it. And by burn times I mean real heat production. This will be the first year for the Heritage.

I'm not trying to defend the stove manufacturers here, but do try to be fair in making measurements of these stoves. Don't discount any space inside the firebox when doing your calculations and comparing to the spec sheets - if it is space in the box not filled with bricks I would count it (I'm even wondering though if they count the space filled with bricks, that in my opinion is marginal as the bricks are mandatory) however even the parts of the firebox not packed with wood are part of the firebox volume. I don't understand why folks want to discount those parts from their calculations. Are stove manufactures saying "you can put 3.0 cuft of wood in this stove" or are they saying "this stove has a 3.0 cuft firebox". I can't imagine anyone would reasonably expect that putting a solid block of wood in a stove with no air space would ever be able to burn - so you have to have that gap between the wood and glass or to the sides of the wood or whatever - some of those "hard to load" areas are probably good to be there as they keep folks from packing the stove so tight it can't burn at all. I doubt anyone is being shorted capacity of their stoves because of those bits of space - we're burning wood here and it needs space to out gas and then mix with air and burn.

I just measured my PE Spectrum (Super Series firebox, same as used in the Super 27, Super Steptop, Classic, Fusion and Super Insert), and if I allow a 2-1/2" space between the viewing window and the wood for airwash purposes, the usable space measures 18-5/8" x 14-5/8" x 12-1/2", or 1.97 cu.ft. PE's irresponsible advertising department blows this up to 2.0 cu.ft.

Any PE Super Series owners on the forum want to sign a petition demanding our .03 cu.ft.?

With a teeny stove like mine, the .20 cubic feet could mean not having the boiler kick on in the morning because I have to start from a cold stove.

I think you boys have got it wrong measuring the firebox. There's so many different sizes and shapes (a lip here, a firebrick there, or an angled baffle, etc) that it would be much more useful to say how much wood it can hold. Fill it up with wood and then take it out and weigh it. My firebox dimensions come to 2cf, but with ash, coals and other design features I think I would be lucky to get 1.3cf of real space. One load of wood (oak) weighs about 15lb.

I prefer to look at it this way.

Attachments

• wine-in-stove-web.jpg
    wine-in-stove-web.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 537
bokehman said:
I think you boys have got it wrong measuring the firebox. There's so many different sizes and shapes (a lip here, a firebrick there, or an angled baffle, etc) that it would be much more useful to say how much wood it can hold. Fill it up with wood and then take it out and weigh it. My firebox dimensions come to 2cf, but with ash, coals and other design features I think I would be lucky to get 1.3cf of real space. One load of wood (oak) weighs about 15lb.

I think the stove industry standard is 20lbs hardwood per 1 cu ft. I don't know what kind of hardwood they're talking about since that can vary but Hearthstone states the Heritage can hold 46lbs of hardwood so they are saying the usable fire box size is a tad over 2 cu ft. I think my manual for my Fireview states 35lbs of hardwood but according to Highbeam the Heritage is smaller than the Fireview so something doesn't add up. I guess there are lots of variables here and it can seem kind of nitpicky but some of us wood stove geeks like to know these things and would like to see a more standard apples to apples comparison.

Nice BeGreen, nice. And for those Coor's drinkers out there- the creek that runs to the plant in Golden is fed by the creek that runs through my place. I pee in that creek.

Reactions: ddddddden
Beetle-Kill said:
Nice BeGreen, nice. And for those Coor's drinkers out there- the creek that runs to the plant in Golden is fed by the creek that runs through my place. I pee in that creek.

Still no indoor plumbing at 8200', eh? I'm sure its coming soon.

thechimneysweep said:
I just measured my PE Spectrum (Super Series firebox, same as used in the Super 27, Super Steptop, Classic, Fusion and Super Insert), and if I allow a 2-1/2" space between the viewing window and the wood for airwash purposes, the usable space measures 18-5/8" x 14-5/8" x 12-1/2", or 1.97 cu.ft. PE's irresponsible advertising department blows this up to 2.0 cu.ft.

Any PE Super Series owners on the forum want to sign a petition demanding our .03 cu.ft.?

Now that's what I would hope that we would all find. To be fair, I didn't mess with getting this to the 1/8". Closest half inch was all I did.

So Tom, you must have an equinox in the shop. Any chance you could measure?

Beetle-Kill said:

Thanks. I didn't feel like hauling out a ton of bottles, but checked and found that allowing for 2" behind the glass, this is an easy 6 x 5 or a 30 bottle firebox.

I understand the connection with Coors. We used to call it pisswater because you had to drink so much of it, that was the inevitable result. Seemed that regardless the quantity consumed one remained sober.

So Tom, you must have an equinox in the shop. Any chance you could measure?

Highbeam, you want to measure to the 1/8". By the time you do all the multiplication, it makes a diff.

We have a small showroom, and can't display every model. Our Office Manager/CFO, our Install Foreman, our Master Sweep and our Corporation President/CEO (Paul, The Sweet Child and I) all voted to put an Equinox on our test burn flue to replace BeGreen's T6, but the Formidable Mrs. Oyen thought one of the new Hase Euro Collection models would look cute in that spot.
I guess it does.

How are those Hase's for burning and heating? Are they selling?

Well, I took the time to go down and measure every part of the interior of my Vigilant. I was being stingy with my estimate before. It has pretty close to 3.2 cu.ft. inside it, right up to the top of the loading door. And I've filled it that full on many a long, cold January and February night. That measurement doesn't include about 1 1/2" of ash that sits down below the wood between the fins of the grate. No wonder it cranks out so much heat... and eats so much wood. I wonder how much a Defiant really holds?

But the real question? BB, why are you drinking Cutty Sark with so many fine tasting single malts out there? Nothing wrong with the stuff or the way it tastes, but go for a little variety. I used to drink Johnny Black, then Chivas almost exclusively. Then a 12 year old Macallan made its way to my lips and I've never been the same. I've been trying them all since then. Sticking with only one blended whisky is like have sex with the same woman every time. Better than no sex at all, but the whisky won't up and walk out on you if it catches you cheating on it, so it's a good substitute for fooling around on the old lady.

Status
Not open for further replies.