How big is your stove.... really.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller said:
Well, I took the time to go down and measure every part of the interior of my Vigilant. I was being stingy with my estimate before. It has pretty close to 3.2 cu.ft. inside it, right up to the top of the loading door. And I've filled it that full on many a long, cold January and February night. That measurement doesn't include about 1 1/2" of ash that sits down below the wood between the fins of the grate. No wonder it cranks out so much heat... and eats so much wood.

I'm interested in seeing the comparison of the two. The Vigilant is 50k BTUs and the Heritage is 55k. The Vigilant has a much larger firebox, but I know that damn thing is inefficient. Looking forward to this winter.

BeGreen said:
How are those Hase's for burning and heating? Are they selling?

Exceptional fit and finish, BIG view of the fire, should do the 1200 sq.ft. Hearthstone advertises. The price point and ultra-modern styling limits the potential customer base, but we've sold a few, and the feedback has been positive.

BrowningBAR said:
I'm interested in seeing the comparison of the two. The Vigilant is 50k BTUs and the Heritage is 55k. The Vigilant has a much larger firebox, but I know that damn thing is inefficient. Looking forward to this winter.

I'm curious to see what you find. Mike Pinto here had a Vigilant and then got an Oslo. He seemed to be a little nervous about how the Vig burned, and I have to say I was as well in the beginning. He likes the Oslo better, and says he gets more heat with less wood for a stove that's basically the same size. Only thing is, I don't know how he burned his. I burned hot as Hades in mine. I figured if I blew it up, there are plenty more where that one came from. So far, no apparent damage but a warped andiron. I did get an embarrassing amount of creosote from it, though. That really surprised me because the pipe and stove interior were always squeaky clean. The sweep said most of the creo was about 15' up the flue, and there was only about 1/4" overall, but the chimney is 25' tall, so 1/4" in an 8" tile flue can add up to a lot all told. All that unburned smoke has to go somewhere if I ain't seeing it come out the top of the stack. And I did go through almost 6 cord this year as well, a lot of it good hickory. But the place was toast-y for the first time in 20 years, so I think I can live with burning more wood and getting it cleaned out twice a year. He didn't think I needed to, but I think the draft suffered by season's end, so it may be worth it.

Beetle-Kill said:
Nice BeGreen, nice. And for those Coor's drinkers out there- the creek that runs to the plant in Golden is fed by the creek that runs through my place. I pee in that creek.

That is why I don't drink Anheuser Busch beers from the St. Louis brewery. That is where they stable the Clydesdales. :grrr:

As to the single malts. Glenfiddich is my favorite but not available in our damned state liquor stores.

BrotherBart said:
As to the single malts. Glenfiddich is my favorite but not available in our damned state liquor stores.

Glenfiddich is good stuff, and I dig the triangle-shaped bottle. You can pack more in the stove that way.

If he was drinking Cutty Sark, i didn't think it was fair to bring up single malts. Give me anything from Islay and I'm a happy camper.

I just filled my stove with canned foam and I am now pretty sure that I got screwed out of 1 cubic inch! I'm asking for a refund. I usually drink Bud Light, unless a guest brings something else.

wendell said:
If he was drinking Cutty Sark, i didn't think it was fair to bring up single malts. Give me anything from Islay and I'm a happy camper.

Well, I wasn't going to look like a whisky snob...

... but I just finished off the last of a bottle of Laphraoig. Special quarter-cask bottling, non-chill filtered, sipped neat, slowly and lovingly from a crystal snifter. Positively divine concoction. Drank it while watching a great Swedish flick, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". In the film there was a scene where a bottle of 21 year-old single malt was brought out, described as "too good to be true". Sometimes a great whisky just seems that way.

bokehman said:
Todd said:
the stove industry standard is 20lbs hardwood per 1 cu ft. I don't know what kind of hardwood they're talking about since that can vary but Hearthstone states the Heritage can hold 46lbs of hardwood
Now take it out and weigh it. I'll bet there's nowhere near 46lbs in it.

20 lbs/cu.ft.? Basswood weighs more than that, never mind oak or hickory.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html

I have an older but highly accurate produce scale near my stove that I use for weighing canoe parts and exotic wood and such. I can easily fit about 60-70 pounds of bone dry white ash in my Vigilant without overcrowding things. Stove ain't supposed to hold that much (55 lbs max), but it fits and it ain't never complained about it. If I loaded it to the top with straight shagbark, I'll bet it'd hold close to 80 lbs. That's less than 2 cu.ft of solid hickory wood, plenty of room for the 1.4 cu.ft. of air left over. So, I don't know how much room is inside a Heritage, but I weighed what mine can hold.

Love the wine bottle pic by BeGreen.. Just measured my Clydesdale which is anything but a square box. I measured from the center of the box for LxWxH average with bricks an baffle in place and came up with almost exactly 2.4 cuft.. No issues here..

2.4cuft is what Hearthstone claims in the literature for the insert

Todd said:
BrotherBart said:
Retired Guy said:
BrotherBart said:
Mine is four cases big. But I only had three on hand that day. And less the next day.

How about measuring it in real beer.

We do that discussion every year. You drink what you wanna drink and I drink what I like. The only one I liked better was Amstel light. When I was in Holland.

I drink Natural Light, I burn in a steel "big box store" non-cat stove, I have a old Poulan commercial saw and I don't give a flying chit what other people do. :coolgrin:

I need to send you some Leinenkugels.

Feel free to send some to me... I love me some Leinies! I can't get Creamy Dark anywhere here. Can't wait for Fireside Nut Brown season!!!!!!

Sorry to dig this old thread up but the other day I was walking through the local Farm and Fleet store and they had the Englander 13 and 30 sitting there so I decided to measure the fire boxes. I took the measurements from side to side with the brick in, bottom brick to the top of the burn tube and from the front lip under the door to the rear fire bricks. The 30 came in at 2.76 and the NC13 was 1.54, a little short of their 3.5 and 1.8.

I'm not trying to dis Englander, they make one of the best bangs for your buck out there and recommended them to a couple friends. I rarely ever hear a bad thing about them. It's just that it bugs the crap out of me and felt like venting. With the new season approaching many nebies will be looking at different stoves and want to compare apples to apples. Well if you do it, it would be a good idea to measure or even throw some splits in there to get a better idea of what's what.

Oh, by the way, no beer today, I'm drinking Bacardi. :)

quads said:
I have measured my smoke dragon's firebox; 7 cubic feet.

I hear a "tool time" Tim Allen "GRUNT" when I read that.

My insert seems to have slightly over the 2.2 they claim.

18" X 19.5" X 11" to the bottom of the burn tubes.

tickbitty said:
quads said:

Yup, Old Smokey has been heating my butt for 40-ish years.

quads said:
tickbitty said:
quads said:

Quit taking pics of wood splits and your axe for a second and hit us with a pic of that bad boy stove.

BrotherBart said:
quads said:
tickbitty said:
quads said:

Quit taking pics of wood splits and your axe for a second and hit us with a pic of that bad boy stove.
I don't think so. It's not very pretty. Maybe. I'll think about it!

yeah, I need a pic, Quads. I was starting to wonder if you actually have a stove or you just like cutting and splitting wood.

Hearthstone Equinox 3.1 cu ft. Not even close to their stated 4.0. Wonder why they even bothered venting it with 8"?

quads said:
I don't think so. It's not very pretty.

C'mon... Mama always said that pretty is as pretty does. I'm sure your beast does and does and does some more. That alone makes it beautiful in my eyes.

Danno77 said:
yeah, I need a pic, Quads. I was starting to wonder if you actually have a stove or you just like cutting and splitting wood.
Ha ha! All the more to sell!

Just checked the stove 17.5D 20.75W 12H-4x4x12(angled back corners)=2.4 for the Quad Cumberland Gap.Advertised 2.4.
Also my favorite beer is an open one.Doesn't even have to be that cold,just not flat.

Come On! What did you have to go drag-in the the Englander 30 into it for. I just bought one, all excited about the big 3.5 box after burn-in in a 1.4 and 1.7 (or maybe they were only .9 and 1.1). When I get home I'm measuring them all and will post {Vermont convection, Avolon pendalian, Englander furnace, and the new 30). Then again I wont be all that upset since I snagged the Englander 30 with shipping for a whopping $725. Can't wait to get home, should get there same time I do Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.