How big is your stove.... really.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:
I drink Natural Light

I'm sorry to hear that.

If there is anything worse than a beer snob it is wood stove snob. I can afford any stove or beer on the planet. I burn in and drink what I like. And laugh at the others.

Carry on. Having a taste of Cutty Sark before retiring for the night.

classic again!
The brother is loud & proud!

My Country Flame BBF measures out at 3.9 cubic feet. I measured from the top of the firebrick that is on the bottom and came out the same as the advertised size.

That's a huge fire box Chargerman. How's your burn times? Do they compare to Blaze King?

Todd said:
That's a huge fire box Chargerman. How's your burn times? Do they compare to Blaze King?

I haven't really tried for length as I usually load at least twice a day with my work schedule and fill the stove accordingly. On walnut and elm mix I was getting 16 hours of useful heat with the fan on low pretty easily. I did burn some oak towards the end of the year in cool but not cold weather. I do remember one 24 hour burn with good coals to start off and I hadn't filled the firebox with that load.

My experience does indicate the fan reduces the length of time I can go between loads by a noticeable amount. The fan is quite large at 600cfm. It works well as my BBF is an insert and it gets the heat out in the house quite well. With a freestanding stove I think the length of burn would be extended or at least the "useful" radiant heat being given off would be longer.

The Blaze King 48hr burn times are probably not possible with the stove but I like the way this stove works fine. My house is a 2300 sq.ft. ranch and it kept up when outside temps were well below zero and the wind was blowing. Not bad for an insert IMO.

Interesting thread... It seems to parallel a number of other things I've noticed over the years in which the sales claims often differ from what the engineering office may have published. Government mpg figures come to mind most quickly...

Anyway, to paraphrase some unknown man, when asked "How big is your stove?" my reply is "Big enough for me!"

On a more serious note, I think I've come up with a solution for comparing firebox sizes equitably. Simply fill the firebox with ping pong balls. They'll fill the box with some airspace between them, they're light and easy to handle. If you're not fond of ping pong balls use golf balls. I'm sure some of you have a number of smiling balls stashed away somewhere...

PBR? That's all american! You know... red, white, and blue... rednecks, white sox, and blue ribbon beer...

Status
Not open for further replies.