How big of a coal bed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samsonje

Dec 4, 2008
Horseheads NY
I recently bought a Timber Ridge 55TRP10 pellet stove that was installed with the outside air kit. The stove has a bottom push auger. I seem to be getting a huge build up of hot coals in the burn box. With in 3 hours the pot is 1/3 full of glowing pellets and with in 12 hours the box is over ½ full of hot glowing embers that are higher then the side air holes and are being pushed over the edge still hot into the lower ash holder. This on the lowest pellet feed rate.

I called Englander who had me turn the low burn air burn up to 9. All that did is turn the glass black quickly. I disconnected the outside air and tried just room air that made little difference I know the pellets are good as I tried other brands and it does the same thing.

Any ideas on settings and how many HOT coals is normal. – Thanks for any help as I don’t dare leave the stove unattended at the moment.

I had a similar problem when I switched pellet brands recently with my Kozi KSH-120. Turns out it didn't like the softwood pellets I had switched to and the burn pot would turn to a solid ash brick within 12 hours. Since I have a ton of them, I now mix 50/50 with my other ton of hardwood pellets and burn the mixture with a higher air setting. This is what my dealer suggested and it seems to work.

I would try at least a bag of a different kind of pellets and see what happens. In my case, hardwood was better.

my englander does the same thing sometimes..i find it helps to open the door and scoop out the ashes in the front and sides while the stove is running one or two times a day. also i find that the area underneath the burn pot fills with fine ash after awhile. every three days or so i vaccum this out real good and it doesnt happen as much

It sounds like a lack of combustion air.

That happened to me with my Englander once... found that my OAK was covered with ice after a freezing rain.

UPDATE:
3084756888_8fc577a5fa_m.jpg

Bad cell phone camera picture of the coal bed after 7 hours of running. I took the picture a couple minutes into the shut down. Prior to the 'test' I cleaned it real well and disconnected the outside air. I left the air line right next to the intake so it got a mix of inside /outside air. Barefoot Hardwood Pellets

Stove ran on feed -1 / fan -1 (5/8/1)

Your Low Fuel Feed and Low Burn Air settings may need to be tweaked to burn effectively at low settings. I also ran Barefoots and had my LFF at 3 and my LBA at 8. It burned great.

Status
Not open for further replies.