How big of a firebox should I upgrade to?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think a flue damper would still run the stove within the draft range it's designed for, especially if the 21' chimney is lined all the way up.
And it's apparently the easy-breathing stove ever...it only required 15" of chimney! 😲😉
View attachment 306700
LOL ;lol

First burn in the new stove! Definitely going to have to get used to the push pull air control and how much the travel is. Accidentally cut it off too much a couple times not realizing how much air I cut off.
But besides that it burns and heats great! Love not having to play jenga with some bigger pieces like I did in the smaller firebox.

1C012357-CAE7-44DB-8CAF-CC3B355DEFE8.jpeg 854239E0-BE81-488E-9058-06B5CCFFA59C.jpeg 589BCA37-79F3-4D20-B094-CDC62B95D4A5.jpeg

Definitely going to have to get used to the push pull air control and how much the travel is. Accidentally cut it off too much a couple times not realizing how much air I cut off.
As begreen, Todd and others have mentioned, on low air settings, small movements of the control can have big effects! _g

Reactions: weee123
As begreen, Todd and others have mentioned, on low air settings, small movements of the control can have big effects! _g
Absolutely! Also doesn’t help I wasn’t sure how closed off it already was or how much travel I had left😅

Reactions: Woody Stover
It appears the hottest part of this stove is on the sides of it where theres no firebrick in the firebox

71778CF6-4E0B-482E-9050-249481AA9599.jpeg 6E31A549-EF17-499C-BF08-D0E04DE8A78E.jpeg 69030E6C-55D6-479E-9276-32224AC30527.jpeg

Reactions: mdocod
Absolutely! Also doesn’t help I wasn’t sure how closed off it already was or how much travel I had left😅
You will get used to it. Just remember draft will change with the outdoor air temp.

Does the stove have the side shields?
No it doesn’t but i will be getting them for more convective heat, and to reduce clearances more

Reactions: begreen
Hey cowardly more on. Your post to me but can't take the heat back. Hypocrite! Blocked your profile so I can't keep this private.

"
Hey, maybe if you change your terrible attitude with people, you'd get better service. Just based on this thread alone, it comes as no surprise they are ignoring you. I've had A+ service from SBI, probably because I don't act like a prick when I interact with them. Maybe give that a try, there, here, and anyplace else that you have to interact with people.

Oh, and it's horrible to post pics of little kids on social media. They can't consent. Shameful.

Once you learn the stuff you should have learned in kindergarten, then learn how to use the stove correctl., Or just go find another pos vz stove and stop abusing the good folks who are trying to help you out."

Hey More On, You mean acting like you are now? I got eight Service Numbers from SBI, going back to March, one 23 email messages long. No satisfaction. You got triggered off ** posts from my thread…. Hypocrite! I recommended things that need to be done to this stove and their reply was; “Any modifications to the appliance will void your warranty”.

As far as the picture of my granddaughter, you some kind of sicko with pedophile tendencies, freak? Really? You are one pervert. I know what you look like. In my Funk and Wagnalls I looked up “dick”, “prick”, “hypocrite” “creep” and "pedophile", ….your picture was right there beside all the definitions. Re;porting this to the FBI. You need to be watched.

I hate hypocrites more than More Ons. You are both.
Yes, you are a real charmer.

Yes, you are a real charmer.
What in the world was this?!

Anywho, I think I'm getting the hang of this bad boy. Haven't fully loaded it to the gills yet since we've been having some milder weather here, but it's easily heating the whole house far better than the older stove I had did. Secondary burn is also way more manageable and doesn't go jet engine like the old 2 tube Osburn did. I'm not even concerned with a runaway anymore it's such a breath of fresh air.

What in the world was this?!

Anywho, I think I'm getting the hang of this bad boy. Haven't fully loaded it to the gills yet since we've been having some milder weather here, but it's easily heating the whole house far better than the older stove I had did. Secondary burn is also way more manageable and doesn't go jet engine like the old 2 tube Osburn did. I'm not even concerned with a runaway anymore it's such a breath of fresh air.
The charmer has left the room. It's good to hear that the 32-NC is working out. It's not as much of an easy breather as the Osburn which appears to be helping in this setup.

The charmer has left the room. It's good to hear that the 32-NC is working out. It's not as much of an easy breather as the Osburn which appears to be helping in this setup.
It’s definitely a little slower to get going than the Osburn was but, tonight was the first full load in it for an overnight and I stayed up a little later to look for a runaway that never happened.

Nice and steady temps at 550 STT, even with robust secondaries it didn’t even think of going nuclear which is very comforting change of pace. Of course Im still checking temps like a mad man, in due time I’ll get used to having a controllable stove😅

I just bought (on sale, of course) an Englander w06, to replace a Jotul F3 CB, and the amount of heat this thing puts out is rather startling. My oil furnace will be able to take some much needed time off.

My first break-in fire.

IMG_20230103_202332.jpg

I just bought (on sale, of course) an Englander w06, to replace a Jotul F3 CB, and the amount of heat this thing puts out is rather startling. My oil furnace will be able to take some much needed time off.

My first break-in fire.

View attachment 307284
Looking good!

Since my other thread on the runaway Osburn has been closed, figured I’d post it here.

When I originally redid the stove I did both door and glass gaskets. As it turns out, the one youtube video I watched on how to do the glass gasket had me do it wrong. Instead of sandwiching the edge of the glass with the gasket, I installed it flat on one side of the glass. This was the most likely culprit of the runaways and short burn times.

Only realized it after seeing a comment saying to make sure a new glass gasket was sandwiching the edges of the glass. Figures I find this out after the I’ve got the new stove. Oh well, I’m loving the new stove anyway and the fact I can fit normal sized firewood in it easily. Only thing is it takes a little while for it to get going compared to the Osburn. Probably because it’s twice the size to heat up the firebox.

Figured I’d post this here instead of starting a new thread just for this update. Got the side heat shields for the Nc32 in the mail today.

So it said it came with hardware, but it didn’t. Oh well, good thing I have an abundance of different screws from work. Found some that threaded into the pre punched holes nicely. Now on the 32 there are only 3 pre punched holes whereas on the shield there are 6. I figure that’s to make it work with either the 30 or the 32 as it fits both.

Here’s some pics of them installed. As you can see they don’t come all the way to the front of the stove but they cover up enough to get those decreased clearances. Also they came a little dinged up but it’s only sheet metal so I’m not worried about it.

IMG_5275.jpeg IMG_5276.jpeg IMG_5277.jpeg

Reactions: paredown