How big of an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RazrRebel

Dec 10, 2010
Southwest Virginia
We lost our home in a fire back in April. It was a doublewide. We had a Buck insert in the fireplace, and really loved it. Our new doublewide has a fireplace also, it looks to be bigger. The last time I just bought the only Buck that was rated for a mobile home. It was pretty small, and had no ashpan. This was around 10 to 12 years ago. Now I see that buck has at least three different sizes rated for a prefab fireplace in a mobile home. I was wondering how to see which insert would fit. The owners manual just says that you can install a wood burning insert according to the manufacturers directions. The fireplace is a Heatilator MEL36. Anybody have any idea?

Well your fireplace is one of the few that allows inserts to be placed in them. You will need a full liner installed but otherwise its ok. As far as the size i cant help you will just need accurate measurements. And there are many inserts available that are approved for your application.