1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How blue is Jotul blue/black?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by RSNovi, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Six days after I got my first motorcycle in 1965 I took a spill on it. My right eye was blue, black, and shiny for a while. Sorry, it just popped into my mind. Both of our stoves are flat black steel plate, but we love them anyway. Rick

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cptoneleg

cptoneleg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    Well I love My new Green Stove it nearly looks Green/Black had 2 to choose from in stock at what I consider a good price. Verses ordering one. Had Brown had Green. My wife liked the brown so I got the green. No tricks I saw split stack I make the money. Seariosly these are beautiful stoves, and hope great heaters. (because the space I want to heat is my home) Hope I dont get sued by a fellow va. for stealing that. But what the heck dont blame me I Voted For Willie Nelson.

Cpt
  3. Frostbit

Frostbit Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Arctic Alaska
    My Jotul F400 is in Blue Majolica. The Jotul glossy catalog with colors can easily deceive you into believing it will look like that in your home. Not the case.

In my normal lit living room, my stove looks glossy, shiny black.

On a bright and sunny day that blazes through the living room windows, it's definitely got a deep blue glossy hue to it.

Best way I can describe it is it's some kind of a chameleon thing, depending on the light.

I suppose one could treat a stove such as mine as one might an expensive painting...by shining accent lights on it. I ain't one of them. I kinda like it being different looking every time I glance at it.

I will say its a snap to keep clean and dust-free.
  4. cptoneleg

Loc:
    Virginia
    Get a Brown one.
  5. HouseCrusher

HouseCrusher New Member

Loc:
    binghamton, ny
    As far as i know i have the majolica finish. Its the real shiny one. My stove has the chrome handles too. I guess the chrome handles only come with that finish. I think i remember reading that somewhere.
  6. cptoneleg

Loc:
    Virginia
    Chrome wont get you home but its my favorite color. What color is your stove mine is dark green/black with chrome handles.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If it is shiny then it is not the satin blue/black enamel. They call this a blue majolica and it should look dark blue in the sunlight. Very attractive I might add. I like all of Jotul's new majolica finishes. They are more understated than some in the past.
  8. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Although the Alderlea T6 is the perfect stove for me I love the blue/black so much I'm buying an Oslo. :roll:
  9. grommal

grommal Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Chrome handles came with any of the premium finishes. Black handles only came with the matte black Oslos (like mine).
  10. OhioBurner©

OhioBurner© Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Ok I am getting alittle confused with all the talk in finishes so I checked my brochure. The two stoves I am looking at are the F500 and 600 and besides the classic matte black pain they come in blue/black porcelain enamel, and blue majolica porcelain enamel. Just to clarify we are talking on this thread about blue/black porcelain enamel yes? And this is actually a different and tougher finish than the blue majolica porcelain enamel (or brown majolica).
  11. RSNovi

RSNovi Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan
    My original question was about the blue/black porcelain enamel.

I appreciate all of the feedback and pictures!

Chris
  12. cycloxer

cycloxer New Member

Loc:
    Worcester County, MA
    The Blue Black Enamel is the matte looking finish that is the most durable. This is probably the one you want. Blue Majolica is a deep blue with a little shine - like a finish you would see on a glazed pot. Jotul's standard black paint is called Matte Black (Stove Bright Flat Black 6304). They also offer Jotul Iron on some inserts. The standard paint is far less durable than the enamel.

I should add that Stove Bright makes matching touch-up colors for all of Jotul's latest stoves. It is easier to touch up the matte black finish and you can entirely respray the stove should you so desire. The next easiest to touch up would be the blue black as it has only a very dull shine. I have never heard of anyone having to refinish a Jotul in blue black. The finish is tough as nails. The most difficult finishes to match in both color and shine are the majollicas. The finish itself is quite durable, but if you whack it hard enough, it will chip. If you only have small chips, the touch up will be okay. The finish is prone to crazing over time (small hairline cracks in the finish), particularly if you frequently run the stove real hot or over-fire.
  13. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    I just got a Jotul castine . Blue - black enamel is just beautiful. A work of art!
  14. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I agree. It is a gorgeous finish for a stove.
  15. RSNovi

RSNovi Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan
    I agree. I have a blue black Oslo and just ordered a blue black c350 insert.
  16. nellraq

nellraq Member

Loc:
    Coldstream, BC, Canada
    I have the matte black Oslo. I also have a matte black Ideal Clarion parlour stove that was built in 1878! It seems to have "aged well" - as it still looks great...the black finish is virtually the same as my 2.5 year old Jotul.

I must admit that the blue black is a very nice colour, I like the "old style" stove finshes.
  17. Blue Vomit

Blue Vomit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    eastern PA
    I have the blue/black Oslo... Think of batman's suit, that color.
    baydraftmare likes this.
  18. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    nice! good analogy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.