How Can I Insulate These Plugs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I have three of the 1-1/2" plugs seen in the picture below on my buffer tanks. The heat loss probably isn't that huge, but I still think about it. :) The jacket is something like vinyl over a 4" thick flexible foam. I haven't been able to think of a way to insulate them in a good looking fashion. Maybe someone out there has?

20150119_190343_resized.jpg

Your doing really well if that's all there is, my boiler room is full of unfinished do dads! How about a PVC pipe cap that is the diameter if the black bushing with insulation

I guess I pass one of these doo dads several times a day and am drawn to touch it. Strange, I know, since they can be pretty warm. :)
I'll look into the pvc cap idea-it'll probably involve traipsing around HD with a pipe fitting.

I have three of the 1-1/2" plugs seen in the picture below on my buffer tanks. The heat loss probably isn't that huge, but I still think about it. :) The jacket is something like vinyl over a 4" thick flexible foam. I haven't been able to think of a way to insulate them in a good looking fashion. Maybe someone out there has?

View attachment 151341

Cut a 4" long piece of insulation and put it around the plug, Then cut a circle to slide into the end. Find a pice of copper or steel tube the correct diameter and punch out the circle to get a nice clean cut edge for the circle plug.

Cut a circle out of some black armaflex and glue them on there.
I do have some 1" thick Armaflex insulation for 1.25" pipe. I think they do make sheets of it that I could use some of that elsewhere.

Cut a 4" long piece of insulation and put it around the plug, Then cut a circle to slide into the end. Find a pice of copper or steel tube the correct diameter and punch out the circle to get a nice clean cut edge for the circle plug.
I'd still like to keep the bushings, I think.

I drilled a plug out of xps and carved a squared chunk out of it. It fits snug and doesn't fall off, but not the ultimate, I'm sure, even if it was painted. :}

20150120_215042_resized_1.jpg

lol!! my bad !! I lost my way on the math ,I moved a decimal point to the wrong spot -while calculating the "loss of gases" near the outside/rough cut edge of the foam along with the amount of uv exposure, due to fluorescent lighting and that near by NE facing window/morning sun .. ..I better sharpen my pencil !

Last edited:
Get some small bowls, saucers, whatever from the dollar store, paint if desired. Fill plenty with spray foam, tape down over plug, remove tape when cured. Or run small ratchet strap around tank to hold down while curing.

Status
Not open for further replies.