How can I tell if a pot belly cast iron stove works?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanette

Dec 24, 2016
MD
I'd like to buy one that is currently used as decoration only. In looking at the stove, is there a way that I'll know if it can be put to use?

Could take some research. Some were coal stoves and have a shaker grate. Some are Taiwan repros. If it has a name brand cast into it that may be a good start for researching. Also, many were retired due to cracked and failed parts. That also needs to be checked.

Could take some research. Some were coal stoves and have a shaker grate. Some are Taiwan repros. If it has a name brand cast into it that may be a good start for researching. Also, many were retired due to cracked and failed parts. That also needs to be checked.

The pot belly stove is a Fosters Maple 16. So, I need to look for cracks and maybe if it is not solid ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest issue is what chimney you will need to have for the stove. It could cost you many times more than the cost of the stove for a safe installation.

Most of them are bolted together as an assembly. They may have been retired due to damage or insecurity of, and/or passing of the owner and I would recommend disassembling them And inspecting every piece and then reassembling it if everything meets your standards. It's most probably will work, but the question is will it work safely and as designed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.