How can I tell if I have a secondary burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nu2wood

Nov 9, 2009
Poconos, PA
Not sure what a secondary burn is or how to recognize one. Is this a flame or flames that are not "attached" to the wood and hover near the top of the inside of box? If so I had some the other night briefly when my stove got pretty hot. They lasted for about 5-10 minutes and then disappeared as the fire calmed down a bit.

Happy Thanksgiving!

this is a small example of secondary burning.

This happens much more rapidly on a large bed of burning logs over coals. However, this was filmed as it was so that the secondary flames themselves stood out against regular flames.

pen

It can look like different things, but mine usually goes something like this (assuming I'm loading up on a nice hot bed of coals): bowels of hell; huge, rolling waves of flames above the wood that roll across the fire box and lick up the glass; jets of flames "squirting" out the holes in the burn tubes like a fire on a gas grill/stove; and then finally, as it settles down and the wood has released the bulk of its volatile gases, ghost flames above the wood that seem to appear out of nowhere and then disappear into nothing.

Pagey said:
It can look like different things, but mine usually goes something like this (assuming I'm loading up on a nice hot bed of coals): bowels of hell; huge, rolling waves of flames above the wood that roll across the fire box and lick up the glass; jets of flames "squirting" out the holes in the burn tubes like a fire on a gas grill/stove; and then finally, as it settles down and the wood has released the bulk of its volatile gases, ghost flames above the wood that seem to appear out of nowhere and then disappear into nothing.

And it is descriptions like this that explain why I didn't do so well in English while in school :)

Well spoken

pen

Thirdendary burn.

Attachments

• nc-30kickin.jpg
    nc-30kickin.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 466
Ok, I'm pretty satisfied that this is indeed what was going on in my stove. Phew! Glad that my setup is working properly, especially when I am using decent wood.

Thanks for the video.

BrotherBart said:
Thirdendary burn.

I'm pretty sure based on the intelligence reports I've seen...Iran is working to acquire one of these! :lol:

Rockey said:
BrotherBart said:
Thirdendary burn.

The correct nomenclature is tertiary burn. Not bad for a Virginian.

Actually, I am from Texas. That should explain it. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
...Actually, I am from Texas. That should explain it. :lol:

Explains a lot...but you can't keep falling back on that excuse now that you've been gone from there for what, 30 years? Rick

Actually, I think the OP's avatar is a pretty vivid example.

stoveguy2esw said:
just sitting here with a smug grin :)

great video pen! love seeing those 30's rock!

Had I been sober (guys night) enough to take video the other night when the wife had the stove top to a new record temp I could have made one heck of an example video! If not for the purpose of secondary burning but for the stove's strength!

While she has outstanding intentions her execution just plain sucks at times.

As a result of her hot fires not only do I have the cleanest chimney in town but I clean it monthly just in case!

God love her good faith attempts!

pen

fossil,
I know I laugh when people ask me if I know someone in my town of thousands but I will do it to you anyway. I have a good friend, Scott McMullen in Bend. Know him? He owns a foam insulation business. Also am good friends with the Klodzinskis who lived out there for years. I love Bend. Though I hear its a lot more crowded than when I was there 10 years ago.

Explains a lot…but you can’t keep falling back on that excuse now that you’ve been gone from there for what, 30 years? Rick

You can take the boy out of Texas, but you'll never get the Texas out of the boy. They're inoculated at birth. :lol:

pen,
She didn't by any chance get a fourthendiary burn going, did she???

BrotherBart said:
Rockey said:
BrotherBart said:
Thirdendary burn.

The correct nomenclature is tertiary burn. Not bad for a Virginian.

Actually, I am from Texas. That should explain it. :lol:

I once had a cop chase me from Texas to the Ohio border. When he finally pulled me over he asked why the h3ll I ran thru 4 states to try and get away from him. I told him my ex wife ran off with a cop from Texas and I thought he was trying to bring her back. True story guys.

nu2wood said:
pen,
She didn't by any chance get a fourthendiary burn going, did she???

It very well might have been a tetra-enary burn!

pen

Quadrenary, or is that only on Quadrafires?

Do I hear a quintuplinary, anyone?

I think that depends on which side of the Mississippi you fall.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.