How can using double wall stove pipe cause a clearance measurement to need to increase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
So this weekend A good friend of mine points me to a classified ad for a used stove. Turns out it is one of the models I have been looking for. 3.1 cubic foot firebox, EPA approved, current ratings, been used for two heating seasons.... $200. So, I have spoken for the stove, working to make the time in the midst of the busyness to make the 2 hour drive to get the stove....

And then I re-read the manuals online for the stove and If I use the double wall pipe that I have currently installed the back clearances is reduced but the side clearances are INCREASED BY AN INCH??????

WHAT??????

I have emailed the manufacturer and they have confirmed that this is the case.

Can someone please help me get my head around why using double walled pipe would increase the clearance requirements by an inch on the sides and on the corners?

And people wonder why some folks just give up on wood heat and all of the legislated nuances that give insurance companies and building code folks the edge.

I still hope to make this unit work as it will more than double our heating capacity/burn times while making a more efficient use of the firewood we have stockpiled.

A link to the manual would be beneficial. It does seem counter intuitive...

Shawn

The concern we've heard from one company in the past is that the increased draft from double wall pipe may cause things to actually run hotter.

At the end of the day, regardless of the wisdom behind that decision, they stand behind those clearances and those need to be maintained or exceeded for the install, right or wrong.

I too have a hard time finding it appropriate. But, it is as it is.

pen

http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/austral

As a reference I have checked a couple of other stove models on the Drolet site and it is the same.

By further reference I just checked a couple of Osburn stoves, manufactured by the same company SBI and see that side clearances are not reduced by double wall pipe.

In fact I see on at least one model that the side clearance requirement is increased with the use of double wall pipe when installed in the US.

The manufacturer doesn't get a vote on the clearances. The stove is sent to the independent test facility and burned with a mess of sensors around it. The clearances are defined by the test facility based on the UL/ULC standards and procedures and the results are, well, the results.

@pen.... I understand completely the idea that we need to abide by the manufacturers specifications but the conundrum for me is why the back clearances are halved and the sides increased.

Obviously minds much smarter than mine have worked on these problems for many years.

As stated I think I can make this work if I can just get to this stove deal in time.

With that in mind I had better step away from the computer and get moving on loading some wood that I have ready to sell to a friend for his outdoor firepit.

2 loads and the stove cash will be in hand then I have to figure out how to block off 5-6 hours for the trip, the load and the unload.

I think this is also the case with some Englander stoves. Maybe due to the lack of side shielding on the stove?

"And people wonder why some folks just give up on wood heat and all of the legislated nuances that give insurance companies and building code folks the edge."

Some of the regulations are there to keep the uninformed from burning down their house...not everyone is smart enough to check out hearth.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.