how clean is your stainless chimney when you get done cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greythorn3

Minister of Fire
Oct 8, 2007
Alaska
wheelordie.com
you guys ever get your stainless chimneys back to its original shiney luster after a chimney brush cleaning? mine seems to still have a thin coating in it even when i get done sweeping it.

any tips or tricks to bring back the mirror finish on the inside?

You'll never get there. Even if you managed to pressure wash all the soot off the flame will have eneeled (probably didn't spell that right) the stainless so it will have a rainbow color. I used to pull out liners and they're almost a non-shiny goldish color after years of use.

well dang it, isnt there stil a risk of fire if there is a slight film and not the stainless brilliance??

Maybe I'll have to try taking a picture of ours. It is only been used 4 winters now but the last time I looked it appeared new. We've cleaned it only one time; a testament to good dry wood and a super clean burning stove.

Is the film sticky/tarlike or is it more like ash/soot? If it's ash/soot you're good to go. If it's sticky, burn hotter fires and maybe try creaway.

Also... why do you have a picture of me as your avatar?

its dry and sooty, im using a plastic rutland chimney brush

any pics of your ss chimney insides after you cleaned it you could post?

greythorn3 said:

BrotherBart said:
greythorn3 said:

Ditto again! ;-P

NH_Wood said:
BrotherBart said:
greythorn3 said:

Ditto again! ;-P

How did he do that? I brushed the heck out of mine and it still looks like something from Cheech and Chong's garage sale.

I have used a Rutland poly brush, but I recently tried an 8" brush(6" flue) with very flexible bristles instead of the rigid ones the Rutland has. What a difference!!!! Here is the after pic when I used the new brush. The old one always cut grooves in the creosote no matter how many times I brushed. This one gets everything.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 344
One of these days we'll get a picture. Wife did look inside the chimney and said she could see just a little soot at the very top but other than that, it is sparkling clean.

It's amazing to me that many of us have to find ways of improving on things that are simple enough that they should work well without modification. That Rutland brush, for example, is built like you were going to be scraping paint off a battleship, but it misses the easily removed stuff. All that is really needed is a flexible brush that contacts the entire surface area of the pipe. If heavy scraping is necessary, a poly brush probably won't work anyway.

wow now thats how i want mine to look! mine a 8" FLUE THO is there a 10" poly brush you can get from rutland?

guess i could use the 8" on my epa stoves 6" flue.

greythorn3 said:
wow now thats how i want mine to look! mine a 8" FLUE THO is there a 10" poly brush you can get from rutland?

guess i could use the 8" on my epa stoves 6" flue.

Not following you here. A 6 in liner requires a 6 in brush. You'll hurt things you try and stove an 8 in brush down a 6 inch pipe if those bristles aren't extremely flexible. Even then, I don't know if I like the idea. You'd have a mess if you broke a rod off or got the thing stuck.

pen

JotulOwner said:
I have used a Rutland poly brush, but I recently tried an 8" brush(6" flue) with very flexible bristles instead of the rigid ones the Rutland has. What a difference!!!! Here is the after pic when I used the new brush. The old one always cut grooves in the creosote no matter how many times I brushed. This one gets everything.

I use the same brush - my chimney looks the same.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.