How Crummy is my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlmrun2002

Feb 23, 2014
New York Country
Been using and old Kresno stove that has the glass slats in front. 8 inch rear flue into my fireplace. It's not as "tight" as it used to be but it got me thru this past winter using about 5 cords from Nov. till today. I can get a long log in, about 22 inches and still have a warm top after 10 hours. Looking to upgrade. Getting itchy for a Fisher. Looking for comments and history on this old Canadian stove.
TIA.
Doug M ny country

Is this stove your only source of heat? If so, 5 cords burning 24/7 is pretty good.

I do have an oil burner but I live in an old colonial 1849 with very little insulation so I pretty much stay on one side of the house in the winter, the side that the stove is in. I keep my house thermostats at 45. No frozen pipes this winter. And I think I cut my oil bill this yearly $3000 buckaroos. Looking for some history on this stove as a seek out a FISHER.

Pictures of stove are needed to identify it.
Glass "slats" are normally on coal stoves to allow secondary air above the fire to ignite coal gas. Does this burn on a grate with ash pan?

If this is the type, it's the same as the Efel Kamina. (13 pieces of glass) Trademark below;
Kresno Trademark.gif

Fishers served a purpose, still have a following but are obsolete by today's technology.

A modern gassifer will use about half as much wood as a fisher for the same heat output.

Wow…. That is a big deal.. 1/2 the wood? How does a modern stove manage to achieve that?
dlm ny country
Simple really. About half of the fuel value in a conventional woodstove goes up the chimney unburned.

Status
Not open for further replies.