How did I do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spadafore

Sep 4, 2008
northwest ohio
Hi guys. Just checking in to see what you think. I am 2 years ahead on my wood supply and a co-worker wanted to buy some. I told him I would fill his eight foot bed full of stacked wood even with the top of his truck box for 125 dollars. The wood is 1 year old cherry, maple, and ash. What should've I charged him in your opinion.

In Va you can buy a full cord for $120 (at least around here in the Shenandoah Valley). But price varies GREATLY around the country. Type of wood and whether it's seasoned affects the price as well. Around here an 8 ft bed of seasoned oak would run me about $60-75.

You sold him about 1/2 cord of wood. What's a fair market price for that can only be determined by comparing to wood prices in your local area, as has been stated above. Rick

So I might have been on the high side. That is good because I kinda hate to part with my wood.

If you were both satisfied with the deal, that's basically the definition of market value...what a willing buyer agrees to pay a willing seller. It may be out of line with the prevailing local prices, but that doesn't really matter after it's a done deal.

Deals involving coworkers, friends, or family can be good ways of cementing relationships. Unnecessary problems may also arise. The prudent man might keep the name of a firewood man handy for those times when a coworker etc needs wood.

If he bought from anyone else it prob would have been split a couple weeks ago so if it was a little high at least it was 1 yr dry.

A contractor I know in this area bids high on any job he doesn't want to do and usually gets to walk away. If the guy thinks he paid too high of price he might say something to you but if he thinks it was a good or fair price he might be back so maybe you should worry about what you will say if he asks to buy more. Suggest you want to keep your seasoned wood and maybe he should buy enough local fresh cut to age for him. By and large though you made a sale and he had a chance to say no. You were fair and that is what counts.

Take a picture when he comes to get it.

fossil said:
If you were both satisfied with the deal, that's basically the definition of market value...what a willing buyer agrees to pay a willing seller. It may be out of line with the prevailing local prices, but that doesn't really matter after it's a done deal.

+1
Both parties happy.

That sounds ok, I bought a pickup load of seasoned oak for $100, but like everyone says, different areas, different prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.