How did your great-grandfather do it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MasterMech

I love pre-carburetor gas power and stumbled upon this video. Pretty awesome.

Amazing,,,wonder how many broken fingers the guy splitting the wood had !!!!! Can u say kickback !!!! Thanx for the video. I think thats the original 22 ton Huskee,,ask Dennis..lol....kiddin of course.... :coolsmile:

Not sure about great grandfather but my grandfather did put up wood this way.

I never get tired of seeing old machinery like this in operation.

Looks good if all you have to split is dry stuff thats small enough to be burned without splitting.

How would it work with a more typical 15"dx20"L round?

Pretty cool either way though.

Backwoods Savage said:
Not sure about great grandfather but my grandfather did put up wood this way.

Does it go VERTICAL! :snake:

Zap

Man, I love the sound of an old hit-n-miss doing work. My neighbor about 1 mile away has an old Johnny popper that he belts up to various stuff on occasion. On a cold dry morning you can hear that distinctive sound - literally, a mile away.

With that splitter, the first thing that came to mind was: what the heck is keeping a tough log from jumping up and smacking the guy in the jaw?

I love old machinery of all types as well...in my case especially steam, but the old gasoline and early diesel stuff is fascinating too. Never knew any of my four Great Grandfathers, but I knew my maternal Grandfather quite well. Made his living with his hands (and his brains). I think he would have had at least sense enough to wear a pair of gloves...or hire someone else to operate that scary thing. %-P Rick

I'm usually good at figuring stuff out, but I can't for the life of me figure out how holding a piece of wood perpendicular to that spinning wheel is splitting the wood. Someone care to clue me in? It's been a long week and maybe my brain is overcooked.

lukem said:
I'm usually good at figuring stuff out, but I can't for the life of me figure out how holding a piece of wood perpendicular to that spinning wheel is splitting the wood. Someone care to clue me in? It's been a long week and maybe my brain is overcooked.

It has a knife edge welded to the wheel. As it comes around - WHACK!. You cant really see it, but you can see the slit in the table that is passes through.

Jags said:
lukem said:

It has a knife edge welded to the wheel. As it comes around - WHACK!. You cant really see it, but you can see the slit in the table that is passes through.

Yup...that's why the guy so often has to flip the round over and whack the other end, because the first contact on one end didn't get the thing to split all the way through.

Got it...so the wheel travel is parallel to the round....not perpendicular.

lukem said:
Got it...so the wheel travel is parallel to the round....not perpendicular.

No, the wheel rotates perpendicular and the wedge is welded on so that it strikes the wood as you would swing an axe, but into the bark portion of the round (not the end).

Start the video at about 50 sec. - pause at 53/54 seconds. Imagine an axe swinging from top to bottom in the "V" area that you see.

I also love the three point cordwood saw attachment for the old Ford Tractor that was feeding the splitter. I'd like to have one of those for my 8N.

Pretty slick. It's not saying much, but that splitter looks much safer than other old fly-wheel based splitters I've seen. At least I wasn't praying he wouldn't loose a hand every 7 seconds or get his head split in two if he leans in too close. Would be interesting to see what a bounce on a tough round would do though :bug:
So someone would own this whole set-up & take it around to all the farms in an area in the fall? kinda like how they did the thrashing? Wouldn't take long to put up the winters wood with a few guys at that rate.

Kenster said:
I also love the three point cordwood saw attachment for the old Ford Tractor that was feeding the splitter. I'd like to have one of those for my 8N.

Kenster, at a local county fair in this area there is a fantastic display of running hit 'n miss engines and implements. My 2nd favorite implement (next to the rock crusher of course!) was a similar sized buzzsaw mounted to a 6hp International similar to the engine running the splitter in that video.

Status
Not open for further replies.