How difficult to remove Harman Accentra insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bookpile

Mar 27, 2010
Southeastern PA
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I just bought a Harman Accentra Insert on craigslist last night. Part of the deal is I have to remove it and the liner from his house. I was looking through the instruction manual and they talk about removing the glass door and some other pieces to lighten it up. The question is, if I remove everything I can, what approximate weight will I be left with? Can three guys move it out? Any tips from someone who has done it before?

Thanks,

Travis

You will lighten it up some but not all that much. I think they weigh around 450 lbs before taking things off. Get a good hand truck and some straps. It will help save your backs. Yes 3 men can move it but it is still very heavy and the 3 men need to be able to lift at least 125 lbs each. Get some ramps to get it in the truck while its on a cart. Make sure you support under the ramps if they are long and made of wood. A couple of old blankets to wrap around the insert and some rope to hold them on will help keep the stove from getting marked up during the move.

The liner is another story. If it is a full liner you will need to get on the roof to pull it up. After you pull out the insert there is also a frame that will need to be taken out. Take some tools with you to get this out. A couple of cresent wrenches should work. You are going to have to break the seals on the liner pipe in a couple of places so be prepared to get dirty. The pipes can be very hard to get apart. Some on this site have used adjustable strap wrenches to help get these apart. If the liner is just a 5' pipe your job will be much easier.

Once you get this home do a through cleaning which means take it all apart and brush/air compressor it out along with all the passageways.

That unit dont weigh any where near 450lbs! remove the 4 1/4 inch bolts that hold the lid casting to the stove body. pull the top off, you have to have the lid open or the latch will not clear. now the front door will come off.then remove the cast iron plate and ash pan ect from inside the stove. now the stove weighs about 100 lbs. easily carried by 2 men

The Harman website says it is 450 lbs with surround. So hopefully taking off the door, lid, and all the plates will get it down to a manageable 300.

We all have plenty of tools and are mechanically inclined.

I plan on cutting a pallet to fit the stove and then using a refrigerator hand cart to strap it onto. Hopefully we will be able to fit through all the doors like that.

It's a full liner but the owner said it's flexible so once I get it detached, I should be able to pull it right out from the top of the chimney right?

rickwa said:
That unit dont weigh any where near 450lbs! remove the 4 1/4 inch bolts that hold the lid casting to the stove body. pull the top off, you have to have the lid open or the latch will not clear. now the front door will come off.then remove the cast iron plate and ash pan ect from inside the stove. now the stove weighs about 100 lbs. easily carried by 2 men

Well, our installer does them by himself, but the main part of the stove, minus door, top, surround is more like 175 lbs.....but its still a 1 or 2 man job even with a appliance dolly.........dont fret alot, you can do it! I agree with most of what both rickwa and Bkins say.....if its a fill liner, thats coming our from the top, and will be a dirty job. I wonder if the original owner still have their damper door for their fireplace...otherwise, its gonna be draft city in their home, and if they get a downdraft, could also get a real soot show in their living room!

rickwa said:

If you look at the Harman website it says the stove weighs 450 lbs with the surround. This is right off the printed lit. I would agree that you will lighten it up by taking off the surround, top, door and mounting frame but disagree that your going to take off 350 lbs by taking it apart.

bookpile said:
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I just bought a Harman Accentra Insert on craigslist last night. Part of the deal is I have to remove it and the liner from his house. I was looking through the instruction manual and they talk about removing the glass door and some other pieces to lighten it up. The question is, if I remove everything I can, what approximate weight will I be left with? Can three guys move it out? Any tips from someone who has done it before?

Thanks,

Travis

Don't know how much you paid, or what shape it's in, sure hope you're happy by the time you get thru the un-install, haul, and re-install, first fires, tweaking, etc. Should be a huge feeling of satisfaction, watching those first burns. Congtats!!!!!!!!!

Bkins said:
rickwa said:

If you look at the Harman website it says the stove weighs 450 lbs with the surround. This is right off the printed lit. I would agree that you will lighten it up by taking off the surround, top, door and mounting frame but disagree that your going to take off 350 lbs by taking it apart.

I have installed probably 20 of these units. It probably is 450 when all assembled I have never verified this. The weight is in the cast iron! All the cast is removable and taken out in pieces. the stove body is easily carried by 2 average men. I usually strip the cast off in the garage and I can easily move the stove around my self with a normal handtruck. We always use 2 guys and just carry it in to be sure not to bump a customers wall.

The stove is 2 years old and he provided a receipt to prove it. He was asking 1900 and I got him down to 1500 which included the full flue. Trust me, after trying to heat our house with a non auto start englander (here when we moved in) this entire winter, I will be more then happy to move this and set it up. I'm glad everyone is saying how light it will be, that really makes me feel better about doing this.

I purchased the same stove used and I couldn't be more pleased with the performance.If you can keep the surround and frame in one piece that will help installing. One thing I did before I installed the unit was to vacuum the best I could, then take a air hose and blow it out really well(out doors or course). After vacuuming you would be surprised how much soot is still in the stove. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.