How disappointing!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyMoe

Minister of Fire
Aug 2, 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska.
After a whole day of mid 30*s only went through maybe 1/6th my hopper!

Quite a sight after religiously doing 2-3 bags a day. I'm think I'll hit 290 bags by end of season though.

lowpelletusage.JPG

Attachments

• lowpelletusage.JPG
    lowpelletusage.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 152
Dang. I'm at 54 bags. Move to TN!!

Isn't that a wonderful sight ! !

MightyMoe and gbreda - what settings is your P68 on and what pellets are you burning?

My settings depend on the pellet. MWP Soft require a higher feed rate of 4-5 whereas North Country, Vermonts or Spruce Point (anything with consistent small pellets) use a lower feed rate of about 2-3 max. Most others (general big box stuff) fall in the 3-4 range.

It depends how cold it is.

I use a thermostat to run my stove. So temperature is set to 90 on stove. Thermostat is set to 74-78 depending on weather.

Feed rate varies between 3 - 6 depending on how cold it is. At -40 feed rate is 6.

Blower is room temp / Hi.

With my pellets I have never had burned pellets end up in the ash can. Blazers are what I was burning (Awesome pellet) I ran out and now am now using Superior pellet (Meh)

Get me a job in TN with 0 commute, no traffic, decent pay, and I'll consider it. =)

My settings depend on the pellet. MWP Soft require a higher feed rate of 4-5 whereas North Country, Vermonts or Spruce Point (anything with consistent small pellets) use a lower feed rate of about 2-3 max. Most others (general big box stuff) fall in the 3-4 range.

I fail to understand why you need to adjust your feed rate. Leave it alone and the stove with make all the adjustments it needs all by itself.

I fail to understand why you need to adjust your feed rate. Leave it alone and the stove with make all the adjustments it needs all by itself.
I never understand this either. The only time I turn my feed rate dial is when turn it to test when I clean the stove. Otherwise it is ALWAYS on 4.5.

Reactions: Defiant
I've heard different things on feed rate. I hear in Room Temp mode, the stove with adjust it, but never go over the setting that you have it set to. For instance, if you have it on 3 and the stove wants to set it to 5, it won't. Not sure if that is valid. I've tried different feed rates and don't see a difference, but then again I'm new to using a pellet stove, so I'm not quiet sure what to look for. As far as ash, it's usually dark and fluffy, however I don't find half burnt pellets in the ash pan.

In Stove Temp mode, I believe the feed rate is not controlled by the stove.

You got a thermostat on the P68? How simple is that to setup? I'd consider doing the same.

-Brian

Thermostat guide here. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-your-harman-works-what-your-manual-doesnt-tell-you.91030/

I
live in a climate that can vary from -50 to +20 in one day. 70 degree difference.

If I leave the stove on feed rate 3, it will not keep up at -50, and run endlessly.

If I leave the stove on feed rate 5 or 6 at +20 the stove short cycles, instead of slowly raising the temperature of the whole house comfortably, the living room gets very hot, very fast.

Feed rate controls maximum pellets fed in a given period. By lowering or raising it, you are controlling the max BTU output of the stove based on whatever pellet is in there.

Yes, the stove will adjust the feed rate, but it will max out based on the feed rate.

My P68 is in the basement (I bought the house with it) and the sensor runs up to the living room. So I usually set it to room temp at 70 with feed rate of 4.

We range from -2 to mid 20's in western ma during the winter. I burn about 2 bags a day.

My P68 is in the basement (I bought the house with it) and the sensor runs up to the living room. So I usually set it to room temp at 70 with feed rate of 4.

We range from -2 to mid 20's in western ma during the winter. I burn about 2 bags a day.

So 20 degree difference vs 70 degree difference. You can probably be comfortable at one feed rate all year.

I never understand this either. The only time I turn my feed rate dial is when turn it to test when I clean the stove. Otherwise it is ALWAYS on 4.5.

For 4 years, I thought the same way. Then this year, the MWP soft would not give me adequate flame or heat until I raised the feed rate, then boom all was well.

Friend of mine has an XXV, as soon as she started using Vermonts, the feed rate had to be turned down to keep the stove from getting completely black (although this seems to be a product of Vermonts in general). The North Country also benefited from being turned turned down a bit on both the XXV and my P68 and all was good in the world (at least in the room)

It seems that it really comes down to pellet size. I guess If I stay with one pellet, then it would not change.

To each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.