How do determine compatible parts with different saw models

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hi everyone,

In general, is there a good way to determine which model saws used the same part components - things like recoils, handles, clutch covers, carbs, etc.? I'm picking up a 021 and 024 today and I plan to part them out, but I'd like to advertise the different models that the parts would fit, in addition to the original model. For example, I often see 024 parts cross-listed as compatible with 026 saws. Any advice would be appreciated - thanks! Cheers!

Gonna have to read up on your saw families. With Stihl, often the first 4 numbers of the saw's wholegoods part # indicate what faimily the saw is from. look for a part # stamped on things like the crankcase or back handle. That # will often begin with the saw's family #.

ie: 044, 046, MS440 and MS460 are all 1128 series saws

I believe the 021, 023, 025 etc are 1123 series units and will also share many parts with the newer MS210, MS230 and MS250 saws as well.

The 026 evolved from the 024 and many things are interchangeable amongst the 024, 026, and the MS260.

Thanks MM - that gives me a good starting place! Cheers!

If they were Husqvarnas, you could just go to the website and download the IPL's and compare part numbers.......... Stihl guards this information unfortunately, but there are some nice folks at the arboristsite ("Beg for Manuals" thread) that would be happy to help you get by those stingy Germans with an IPL for the saws you have.

Ha! Thanks Hittin!

Status
Not open for further replies.