How do I clean stains off the top of my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hey all,

I have a black steel stove top that had water fall on it and stain the stove top with water deposits/ash residue. I've scrubbed it a bit with a damp cloth and such, but I have staining where the edge of the water was.

I'd like to remove this and not repaint my stove. I've got a variety of products and scrubber but wasn't sure which are safe and which are not for this type of thing. I'm hoping i can get some clear guidance so this is just a 30 second job :)

Joe

Aerosol Brake cleaner. Spray a wad of paper towel, then scrub it gently. If you scrub too hard and remove some paint, just re-mist the top with a hi-temp black paint.

Huh, good thing I just picked up a 2nd bottle of pyroil non chlorinated brake cleaner :)

Be careful what you put on the stove top: residues can remain on/in the steel and take a few burns to remove. Just make sure to whipe everything off as much as possible.

Andrew

This stain has been there through ~30 burn cycles, so it's on there until I remove it.

This year, won't be putting much on top of the stove. Sad, but it was always a pain ensuring we didn't forget to fill the water overnight or whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.