How do I clean the exterior of a VC Resolute of about 1985 vintage and other operational questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2009
West of Boston, MA
Got a present of a 1985 Resolute two front doors. Seems to be in ok condition, the exterior is I think enamel but not sure. It has whitish deposit or lack of enamel I am not sure on the top and some on the sides. I have cleaned with greased lightning so not dirt on it but that whitish look is still there so I am thinking either stains of something or chipping of the castiron or enamel. Wondering what to clean this with to see if I can remove it. Did not want to paint or polish as I am being allowed to put this in the house but if it "SMELLS" I am done for and it will be be lit again so am in trouble here.
Also, the doors on front seem to close ok but the handle is very hard to totally close. The cover on the side air inlet, (not the thermostat and not the damper) a whole about size of a quarter that has a cover that swings out of way, that cover when closed seems to not totally occlude the opening but not too worried about that since the book says to leave that open all the time you burn so..... the reason is that the cover is not totally flat, seems to have bowed out by maybe a 1/16th of an inch or less. The damper arm comes all the way down to 3 oclock position but does not go all the way up to 12 oclock goes to about 1 o'clock or so but the damper opens and closes I beleive well although can not see it, the thermostat opens and closes fine, the handle is only like a thick wire, should there be a wire handle like damper or no? One more question, does this model have a ash drawer and if so where? I do not see a drawer but maybe under the lip or something?
Thanks in advance for some answers. Wish I could polish her but ............want to it not to stink.

sandie said:
Got a present of a 1985 Resolute two front doors. Seems to be in ok condition, the exterior is I think enamel but not sure. It has whitish deposit or lack of enamel I am not sure on the top and some on the sides. I have cleaned with greased lightning so not dirt on it but that whitish look is still there so I am thinking either stains of something or chipping of the castiron or enamel. Wondering what to clean this with to see if I can remove it. Did not want to paint or polish as I am being allowed to put this in the house but if it "SMELLS" I am done for and it will be be lit again so am in trouble here.
Also, the doors on front seem to close ok but the handle is very hard to totally close. The cover on the side air inlet, (not the thermostat and not the damper) a whole about size of a quarter that has a cover that swings out of way, that cover when closed seems to not totally occlude the opening but not too worried about that since the book says to leave that open all the time you burn so..... the reason is that the cover is not totally flat, seems to have bowed out by maybe a 1/16th of an inch or less. The damper arm comes all the way down to 3 oclock position but does not go all the way up to 12 oclock goes to about 1 o'clock or so but the damper opens and closes I beleive well although can not see it, the thermostat opens and closes fine, the handle is only like a thick wire, should there be a wire handle like damper or no? One more question, does this model have a ash drawer and if so where? I do not see a drawer but maybe under the lip or something?
Thanks in advance for some answers. Wish I could polish her but ............want to it not to stink.

Just a guess here . . . could the white deposits possibly be stove cement if it is in an area where the cast iron pieces come together?

Perhaps some other folks with VCs of this vintage . . . or even folks with enameled stoves would care to chime in with some suggestions to this question and your other questions.

No not cement, it is on the top and not near seems. It may be something spilled on it and cooked on it, or the enamel(if it is enamel) rubbed off or ????. Is it possible this is brown and not black? It is not black black but maybe faded back stove so stove polish that is real black will look kind of funny. I am going to a VC store tomorrow and see if they have suggestings and parts for the stove like handles and hinges for the griddle etc.

It appears to be brown in color or faded black, it is glossy not dull looking. I am thinking of just getting a brown magic marker and color in the area but wait til it is installed and working to make sure I am not spinning my wheels. I bought a handle for the doors, hinges for the griddle, and a kit for the gaskets. Hope they all work. Hope the stove works otherwise I will be buying new and I like the Jotuls. Saw a guy looking at the Regency and a couple said they had one and LOVED it but Jotul has a great rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.