how do I control my new 3-way valves????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leaddog

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2007
Hesperia, Michigan
I've been busy buying on ebay for changing my and my sons boiler setups. I've bought a couple of 3-way 1-1/2 in. Honeywell valves with actuator linkage and motors. They are controled with 0 to 10v inputs. I want them to bypass with power off and to modulate as the boiler comes up to temp. I would like the boiler temp to reach 170* and then the valve would open or close to maintain the 170* temp. I think I need some sort of controller but don't know what to search for. I've got time to search but need some help on what needle in the hay stack I have to find. Electronics are not my strong suit but I do have some limited knowledge with the concept of controls. Any and all help will be very much appreciated.
leaddog

No offense to any posters on this forum but you could try heatinghelp.com. The guys on the "wall" are extremely knowledgeable and really accommodating to novice questions.
Will

ranco makes a nice controller . they also offer a submersion well. its easy to use and allows you to set your differential to what you want 1-30 degrees. im not sure of the part number you need , but i believe they offer one that operates on low voltage.

Johnson Controls makes one, but I think it's about $150. A350P if memory serves. Analog output is kinda expensive. Maybe Nofossil has some lower cost opions that don't require a PC?

He has an Eko; he's in the right place! :cheese:

Chris

You can control a three-way zone with a simple aquastat--or aquastats--if all you need is a simple control.

The Wall is a great resource; I refer people there all the time. The only problem is that the wood boiler/gasifier side of things is not something many heating techs are familiar with, so sometimes you have to spend time explaining what you're trying to do and why. We have some regular Wallies familiar with wood-fired systems posting here on a regular basis, which kind of streamlines the interface between the woodies and the hardcore fossil fuel types.

Maybe a Tekmar controller can do it (???)...get hot rod's input on this. BTW, haven't been on E-Bay for a while; s do you see many Taco circs on there? Looking for two 009's

Status
Not open for further replies.