How Do I Disconnect Freestanding Gas Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tammydago

Aug 19, 2014
Mechanicsburg, PA
Hello everyone! I need to disconnect my freestanding gas fireplace in order to have new carpet installed. I don't know how to disconnect the upside down L shaped black stove pipe that vents through the wall. The joints of the stovepipe are sealed so I'm not sure where to try to disconnect it. We are going to hook it back up once the carpet is installed, so I don't want to damage anything. Can anyone help?

Pictures are worth a thousand words and far fewer misunderstood replies.

:oops: double post.

Ok, here are some pics. Thanks! I really hope someone can help me out with this. I appreciate your time.

-Tammy gas1.JPG gas2.JPG gas3.JPG gas4.JPG

Caveat to my remarks :); if in doubt, have a contractor remove it. My personal thoughts are that this pipe is probably no different than what is used for a wood burner where the sections are all male/female with probable sheet metal screws securing them. At the elbow, remove the screws if evident and while someone is holding on to the wall's parallel section, walk the stove and the vertical & 90 elbow section of the pipe backwards. The entire unit with the vertical and elbow will "probably" remain in tact....

Those vent sections are a twist lock design - 1/4 turn engagement.
Any rivets you see are not holding the sections
together, just holding a trim piece on the outside.
First thing is to shut the unit off & then shut off the gas to the unit.
There should be a shut off underneath...
If it's not there it's in the basement or on the other side of the wall,
wherever the feed line is.
Disconnect the gas flexible line from the hard pipe.
You should be able to pull the unit straight out from the wall
& the horizontal section should slip out of the wall pass-through.
Once you cleared the wall, the other sections will unscrew from each other.
Let me know if this works...

Reactions: R'Lee
I actually thought about twist lock after I posted but, it didn't occur to me at the time; those are rarely used near me. Thanks DAKSY

Status
Not open for further replies.