How do I do a firmware update on my Bixby Maxfire 115?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You will need a patch cable and the disc to setup a computer to do. PM rona and he may get you what you need and instructions etc. Took me twice before it got everything right. Burns better but is more touchy to tweek air and fuel. If trying to burn pellets will need to change the wheel chute cover whatever they call it as pellets will eat it up shortly. Another problem with the update is that you will have to have the computer to change from pellets to corn and back.

I'm running 2.73 version of code. It is the last version that I am aware of. I doubt over a handful in the country are running it. Stove has been running great for years. It's not a simple machine to learn but get a cable and hook it to a computer and learn it in your environment. It's amazing how simple a solid fuel machine can be.

That the version that allows stove to switch from pellets to corn without the computer?

That the version that allows stove to switch from pellets to corn without the computer?

I flip the rocker switch on the panel. It works. No computer needed.

I like corn and run mostly corn and mix a few pellets in to soften the cut. Stove runs for weeks at a time without shutting off on corn and isn't really much buildup. When stove is off I will run the scrapers and poke around a bit with a piece of bailing wire behind the tubes. Exhaust blower cover I had off about six years ago when I replaced a faulty exhaust sensor and rona sent me a gasket. No need for leaf blowers and stuff with this stove if you run a short out the wall exhaust and don't use a Bixby cap. I haven't had a shop vac in the stove going on my 5th season or had the burnpot out. I clean the ash with my hands and fill the pot. Start and it falls into the ash pan. Put an 1/8 inch allen wrench on the right side to close the gap in the center of the pot. Two or three times a winter take a 1/8 drill bit, put a glove on and remove the ashpan while the stove is running and clean the small holes in the burnpot and they are easy to see while it's running. There's not much reason to shut this stove off.

To the original poster and anyone else. Get a cable and read the manual and ask questions on the forum. Search Scribd for Bixby and spend some time one winter to dial the stove in to your environment. Maintenance is very minimal as in keep clean fuel in the hopper and dump the clinkers and as always monitor the flame.

I have the 2.71 firmware and it needs the computer to be hooked up in order to flip the switch from corn to pellets. Was a shortfall of that update so we found out after installation. Would like to get the newer update for the ability to switch and would be a decent selling point in future.
Was the best stove I have bought for under a grand and beats every stove I have or have had in its needs of maintenance. Bit of graphite on the biscuit cutter and pot bottom and has had no real issues. Loose temp probe wire coupler drove me nuts for awhile last fall.

Last edited:
I'm running 2.73 version of code. It is the last version that I am aware of. I doubt over a handful in the country are running it. Stove has been running great for years. It's not a simple machine to learn but get a cable and hook it to a computer and learn it in your environment. It's amazing how simple a solid fuel machine can be.

I am trying to locate/secure the cable and bixcheck softwaree. Do you have the 2.73 version in a format I could recieve" Bixcheck? or cable. I am tryi8ng to repair my maxfire 115 before the winter. It is a great stove but it messed up on me this spring. 10 years no problems at all now trobule.

If you can help I would appreciate it. T

I noted that corn burning accelerated the corrosion of my exhaust stove pipe. Burning pellets reall minmized/elimiated the corrosion.

Thank you in advacne for yuor consideration.

Rona is probably out fishing or trying to stay afloat as we had some very heavy rains come through the state last couple days.
I take out the pipe at end of season and wash them. Bixby was first installed in fall 2008.
Corn is hovering around $3.25/bu and USDA thinks the US will have a record crop. It sure looks good around here.

Rona is probably out fishing or trying to stay afloat as we had some very heavy rains come through the state last couple days.
I take out the pipe at end of season and wash them. Bixby was first installed in fall 2008.
Corn is hovering around $3.25/bu and USDA thinks the US will have a record crop. It sure looks good around here.

Thank you very much for the heads up. Hope Rona and you fare well during the unusual weather.
If corn is $3.25 s bushel I may reconsider it - depending on how much the feed store charges per ton (I am not in the farmland).

I really love my Bixby Maxfire and want to keep it running.
THnaks

Thank you very much for the heads up. Hope Rona and you fare well during the unusual weather.
If corn is $3.25 s bushel I may reconsider it - depending on how much the feed store charges per ton (I am not in the farmland).

I really love my Bixby Maxfire and want to keep it running.
THnaks
Just a helpful hint but if you blend a gallon of pellets with 4 gallons of corn or sometimes a little more pellets your stove will run better and you should eliminate any clumps sticking to the pot when it dumps. looking at the corn market I would expect it to be less then 3 .00 around here this fall possible 2.90 . Have been fishing and camping since June 13 until first week in August other then coming home to mow grass every 10 days or so.

Last edited:
I have both the cable and software plus instructions to update your Bixby.
Hello Rona.

I am new to this site but remember you from the old iburncorn forum.

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a copy of the bixcheck 2.73 from you. Would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Hello Rona.

I am new to this site but remember you from the old iburncorn forum.

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a copy of the bixcheck 2.73 from you. Would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
My e-mail is [email protected] Send me a e-mail as it is easier to communicate that way.

I am new to this site and first time on a forum.
I have a Bixby Maxfire and SEVERAL problems every few days. After the room air fans bearing stopping last spring on the last day that I really needed it I unplugged it so it would not continue feeding pellets. After replacing the blower/fan with an exact replacement the blower is quiet but the stove will not feed pellets now. I am getting the #6 light showing the exhaust fan problem but the exhaust fan is operating. I replaced the foam tape on the ash drawer to ensure that it was sealed and adjusted the door to make sure that was not stopping the feeder wheel with no results either. Could the heat have damaged something keeping the stove from working now? Thermcouple?

Welcome to the forums Kent. I don't know the Bixby stoves so I can't give you much advice, other than try to contact Rona with the Email addy he posted in the message above yours. There may be a reset proceedure for the error your getting but i cant remember. We don't see many Bixby issues here

I am new to this site and first time on a forum.
I have a Bixby Maxfire and SEVERAL problems every few days. After the room air fans bearing stopping last spring on the last day that I really needed it I unplugged it so it would not continue feeding pellets. After replacing the blower/fan with an exact replacement the blower is quiet but the stove will not feed pellets now. I am getting the #6 light showing the exhaust fan problem but the exhaust fan is operating. I replaced the foam tape on the ash drawer to ensure that it was sealed and adjusted the door to make sure that was not stopping the feeder wheel with no results either. Could the heat have damaged something keeping the stove from working now? Thermcouple?
I will be guessing but being you replaced the convection fan you unplugged a lot of wires and maybe missed putting one on. the exh fan has a sensor wire that is black and fits on J-10